2017 Expy Can you upgrade from halogen to HID headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The6ofus

Reaction score
Based on the recommendation from 16plati, I visited the diode dynamics SL1 website. Please forgive my ignorance, but does my 2017 King Ranch Expedition have projector or non-projector headlights? What's the difference anyhow?

And....I have searched the forum but did not see anything that definitively explained things sufficiently.

Here are my reflector style if that helps.

6deed6497ab6d4017d2a204c72365e17.jpg

I sent an email to Diode Dynamics last night and had this reply already...

Bryan,

Thanks for reaching out! Do you have a Projector or a Reflector?

Projector:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-beam-led-headlight-for-2015-2017-ford-expedition.html

https://www.diodedynamics.com/high-...2015-2017-ford-expedition-projector-pair.html

Reflector:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-b...-2017-ford-expedition-non-projector-pair.html

https://www.diodedynamics.com/high-...-2018-ford-expedition-non-projector-pair.html

I hope that helps! If I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Matthew H.
Service Representative
[email protected]
(314) 205-3033

The6ofus

Reaction score
Oh, and I ordered a set of highs and lows for my reflector style housings. After pulling our travel trailer home in the dark and rain last night, I knew it was time to do something better.

OP
OP
Stotadude

Stotadude

Reaction score
I contacted two more Ford dealers today and asked about upgrading from halogen to HID headlights. The first service manager was a little baffled and ended up saying I would spend an arm and a leg if I had him do it and recommended an aftermarket shop. The second service manager said he would not do it and further recommended that I do not do it at all. He said whatever kind of lights came with vehicle should be the kind of lights to keep. If I had an aftermarket shop put HID's in and an electrical problem occurred, Ford would not stand behind it.

Do, I'm wondering whether to choose LED instead of HID or just play it safe and keep my drab halogen headlights. I really like this vehicle - more so than almost any other vehicle I have ever owned - and I don't want to cause a fire or major malfunction.

Thank you all for your input.

Hey, 6ofus, did you change your bulbs yet? I went to that website and it looks straight forward.

And, 16plati, great recommendation. Have you upgraded with no issues?.

I'm also having intermittent issues with mode switches on left side of steering wheel. Again the dealer recommended a $100 Diagnostic fee and repair based on results. I am second owner of vehicle and apparently something got spilled behind switches. If only the switches act up, how can anything else be wrong? It looks pretty straight forward as long as you disconnect the battery first.

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I contacted two more Ford dealers today and asked about upgrading from halogen to HID headlights. The first service manager was a little baffled and ended up saying I would spend an arm and a leg if I had him do it and recommended an aftermarket shop. The second service manager said he would not do it and further recommended that I do not do it at all. He said whatever kind of lights came with vehicle should be the kind of lights to keep. If I had an aftermarket shop put HID's in and an electrical problem occurred, Ford would not stand behind it.

Do, I'm wondering whether to choose LED instead of HID or just play it safe and keep my drab halogen headlights. I really like this vehicle - more so than almost any other vehicle I have ever owned - and I don't want to cause a fire or major malfunction.

Thank you all for your input.
I personally would never put HIDs in any of my vehicles, especially when a vast majority of the Ford lineup comes with option LED headlamps. If HIDs are so far superior, why are all other headlamp options from Ford LED?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just placed my order for LED replacements from Diode Dynamics. Thanks everyone.
Good choice. Word of advice, when you install them, you need to make sure that the LED assembly is straight up and down in the housing to ensure the LED chips sit appropriately in the projectors or your light pattern will not be correct. Check out this video

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on the recommendation from 16plati, I visited the diode dynamics SL1 website. Please forgive my ignorance, but does my 2017 King Ranch Expedition have projector or non-projector headlights? What's the difference anyhow?

And....I have searched the forum but did not see anything that definitively explained things sufficiently.

Projector: "crystal ball" thingie, bulb inside and hidden from view
Reflector: "angular mirrors" thingie, bulb sticks through a hole in the middle

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Good analogy. I have no clue as to why or if projectors are better. These are HIDs on one of my cars but Halogens on the other, newer car. Since HIDs all seem to be projectors my suspicion is projector housings are styling, not performance. Anyone?

I'm old enough to remember when Halogens were state of the art and when most automobile headlights were all large 5" and 7" sealed beam bulbs. For those long, all-night driving on rural state and US highways we ran 5" 12v aircraft landing lights as high beams in the quad bulb setups in those days. Recollection has them far brighter than any bulbs available today. Who needs DOT approval? :)

-- Chuck

The6ofus

Reaction score
I just installed all four Diode Dynamics headlight bulbs. The low beam fit perfectly but I had to “clearance” around where the dust cover attaches to the back of the housing to get the high beam bulbs to lock in. Not a big deal to me. A few minutes with a dremel and it’s all good.

The driver side housing with these throws a crisp pattern. It appears to me that the passenger side reflector housing throws light all over the place. I did make sure the bulbs are horizontal. Overall, I’m pretty pleased with them so far. I didn’t log any road miles because, well, I had a few cold ones.

A comparison shot before it got too dark. DD bulb in the pass side, but without the housing pushed into place completely. OE halogen drivers side.

b1ef64f25851fe23e4e5104fe766a65c.jpg

Low beam pattern. I’ll probably need to bring it down a bit more, but it’s past dinner time.

dec853d4ea5109430602ffd62860487a.jpg