2017 Expy Can you upgrade from halogen to HID headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Stotadude

Stotadude

Reaction score
I ground off as much plastic as I dared and the bulb assembly would still not go in far enough to allow twisting. Called DD and they are taking them back and issuing a refund. Good folks to deal with.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ground off as much plastic as I dared and the bulb assembly would still not go in far enough to allow twisting. Called DD and they are taking them back and issuing a refund. Good folks to deal with.
Well that was pointless, I’ll make a video showing exactly your issue and how to fix it. Sad to say it’s just user error

The6ofus

Reaction score
Looks great. And those are reflector low beams?

I did chat with DD this week about that weird pattern on the passenger side. They said to try checking the bulbs are locked in all the way on that side. Of course they mentioned the LED chips should be equally horizontal, which mine seem to be.

I should have time this weekend to check that out and I’ll report back.

2017 XLT 4x4

OP
OP
Stotadude

Stotadude

Reaction score
16Plati, I did what DD suggested to try and make the bulb assemblies lock in. I look forward to your video.

The6ofus

Reaction score
So I’ve had these several weeks now. I reported this issue to DD and they recommended a few things.

1) Bulbs fully seated?
Yes

2) LED chips are parallel?
Yes

3) Swapped bulbs from one housing to the next?
Yes

Result, same issue. So I guess it’s the OE housing causing this somehow?

Does anyone know if the Diode Dynamics HID kit would work in OE reflector housings and have a better pattern? I’ve emailed this info but no response yet. If I have time tomorrow I’m giving them a call.

High beams

2346a875f3a219c57394521fe2278b5d.jpg

Low beams

c7816142169cdc76f3348df59e2f1df8.jpg

2017 XLT 4x4

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So for what it’s worth....when I had issues locking my bulbs in, I loosened the three star screws that you see on the outer rim of the housing where you insert the bulb. (You’ll need a decent miniature screwdriver set to find the correct bit) Bulb went in perfectly and then I snugged the three screws up once in place.

(this is on projector housings though, not sure if reflectors have the same setup)

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’ve had these several weeks now. I reported this issue to DD and they recommended a few things.

1) Bulbs fully seated?
Yes

2) LED chips are parallel?
Yes

3) Swapped bulbs from one housing to the next?
Yes

Result, same issue. So I guess it’s the OE housing causing this somehow?

Does anyone know if the Diode Dynamics HID kit would work in OE reflector housings and have a better pattern? I’ve emailed this info but no response yet. If I have time tomorrow I’m giving them a call.

High beams

2346a875f3a219c57394521fe2278b5d.jpg

Low beams

c7816142169cdc76f3348df59e2f1df8.jpg

2017 XLT 4x4

That’s very odd...any chance there’s some broken glass from an old bulb or something in there? (Dumb question, but just a thought)

What happens if you put your standard halogen back in, is the hotspot and beam pattern correct?

But, food for thought, I actually removed my LED low beams and went HID because the light pattern was odd and they just were no where near as bright. Thread below, but I just realized my pictures are gone because tinypic closed up shop. Lame. I can repost the comparison photos, if you’d like. (These are in projectors though)

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/any-hid-issues-in-projectors.39380/page-2

Last edited:

The6ofus

Reaction score
That’s very odd...any chance there’s some broken glass from an old bulb or something in there? (Dumb question, but just a thought)

What happens if you put your standard halogen back in, is the hotspot and beam pattern correct?

I haven’t tried putting the old halogens back in since the swap but that’s next on my list. The pattern was fine before the swap, just halogen dim.

I have looked over the housings to see if I can find anything that looks damaged or abnormal. No debris or anything obvious to me. I’ve adjusted the aim multiple times as well while ensuring the housings are snugly back in place. It’s just weird.

I’ll post up anything I learn as I go through it all. Thanks for the suggestion!

2017 XLT 4x4

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t tried putting the old halogens back in since the swap but that’s next on my list. The pattern was fine before the swap, just halogen dim.

I have looked over the housings to see if I can find anything that looks damaged or abnormal. No debris or anything obvious to me. I’ve adjusted the aim multiple times as well while ensuring the housings are snugly back in place. It’s just weird.

I’ll post up anything I learn as I go through it all. Thanks for the suggestion!

2017 XLT 4x4

Yes, I’ll be curious to know the outcome.

Here’s a thought...with the LEDs installed, turn the lights on at night against your garage (or wall). Then go to the passenger side and pull the light out far enough that you can get your hand behind it or put it on a step stool, stack of boxes, whatever...that’s somewhat close to the height of where it typically sits in the truck.

Then stand to the side so the light still hits the wall and twist the bulb out of the housing, but leave it inside the light. Then twist the bulb freely in all possible degrees and see if the light pattern gets better.

I have a wild idea that maybe someone at the factory didn’t attach the “bulb holder” assembly to your light properly...and that the bulb on the right side sits at a different angle than the left side. With halogen bulbs, the difference would be subtle, since the light is omnidirectional.

If that’s not the case and you can’t get the beam pattern to look right no matter what angle the LED sits in, HID is your next best bet. Like halogen bulbs, HIDs are omnidirectional...minus the grounding strap.

Last edited: