2017 Expy compared to a 15K Armada rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I drove an EL rental from Chicago to Fl and back last year. I drove an Armada all over Fl last year too.

The Armada felt like a rocket ship was very smooth and light to steer. Excellent ride quality w no rattles. Loved it.

The EL felt more like a boat. Less agile obviously due to length but got good gas mileage out of the v6. It had good acceleration but definitely had turbo lag. The braking wasn’t as good as the Armada but it is a bigger truck.

All in all I don’t think these two trucks are aimed at the same buyer. Very different characteristics and appearance.

For me a truck w V8 is more desirable than a forced aspirated v6 in a truck platform. Yes, gas mileage is more on v6 but fuel economy is not the main attribute in any truck.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think each type of expy has a different tune. My fam rented a 15 expy el xlt and it had a floaty wafty ride. It was somewhat u gainly but its highway ride was fantastic. Later i test drove a 15 expy el limited with 20in wheels and it felt drastically different. It had a more planted ride, firm bit absorbent and much more agile. It felt sportier than the xlt. This is probably more to do with wheel size, but i think ford tunes xlts slightly softer than ltds and i preferred that set up. Later drove a ccd equipped model 17, non el and it had the floaty xlt ride but the agility of the ltd. In my opinion, the ccd equipped models had a better ride quality than the armada, but not by much. My current 18 def has a firmer ride than the armada but i bet it could drive circles around one. The 18 ccd rides (esp nav) def rides better but i havent driven an armada recentlt enough to change my perspective.