2017 factory brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For trailer brakes all you need to do is splice in the trailer brake wire and attach the ground.
Cap the other 2 and you'll be fine.

12v power is only needed if your trailer has any powered accessories. Interior lights, battery for dump trailer etc.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
There is no blue wire in the 4-pole connector (Typo in your message?). It's the major wire lacking to fit a 7-pole connector but it might be back there, pays to look or search notes here. Look back there for a blue wire blunt dipped and wrapped inside one of the rear panels by the tail lights.

I prefer a hardwired connector rather than one that plugs into the existing 4-pole connector. Connectors are the weak point in any electrical system.

The 3 "extra" wires in the 7 pole connector are the blue trailer brake wire, a black wire for trailer battery charge (plus 12vDC), and the yellow trailer back-up lights (center pole of the Bargman). Only the blue wire is needed to get the brakes hooked up. None, some, or all these may be back there hiding. I'm guessing 'cuz all my Ford SUVs have had HD Tow and full wired.

-- Chuck

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the blue wire is there right at the hitch.
I have not located the yellow or black anywhere. But I have yet to drop the spare tire and work back further yet.

I too would cut the 4pin connector and splice into a 7 pin connector.

Don Plata

Reaction score
There is no blue wire in the 4-pole connector (Typo in your message?). It's the major wire lacking to fit a 7-pole connector but it might be back there, pays to look or search notes here. Look back there for a blue wire blunt dipped and wrapped inside one of the rear panels by the tail lights.

I prefer a hardwired connector rather than one that plugs into the existing 4-pole connector. Connectors are the weak point in any electrical system.

The 3 "extra" wires in the 7 pole connector are the blue trailer brake wire, a black wire for trailer battery charge (plus 12vDC), and the yellow trailer back-up lights (center pole of the Bargman). Only the blue wire is needed to get the brakes hooked up. None, some, or all these may be back there hiding. I'm guessing 'cuz all my Ford SUVs have had HD Tow and full wired.

-- Chuck
Thanks everybody! This is exactly what I needed to know. Chuck, you are right the blue is not part of the 4 pole, what I meant to say is the 4 pole connector is next to the receiver with a capped blue wire for the electric brake.

So I go ahead as planned with the Bargman (7-pole and 4 pole) adapter. I connect the 4 pole, blue wire to electric brake, ground the white wire to the frame, and cap the other two wires. The 7-pole I got has both 4 and 7 connectors.

However a better connection would be to clip the 4 pole off, then get a 7 and 4 pole in one that I can hardwire to to avoid a connector, is that right?

Thanks again!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or just splice the Bargman connections into the 4-pole wiring and retain both outlets. Trailers without electric brakes (to include UHaul) use the 4 pole connection.

There may be a relay and fuse that need to be installed. I recall these were in the glove box and needed to be installed under the hood on top of the radiator shroud on my '07. All was in place in my '17. Diagram is in the owner's manual.

Fill the connectors with dielectric grease to protect the contacts.

-- Chuck

Don Plata

Reaction score
Got the dielectric grease and checked the owner's manual for the fuses and relays. All are installed in fuse box on top of the radiator shroud. I will install the 7 pole tonight, the brake control module comes Monday. I am excited to install that, since it looks so easy. Then we will see how much the dealer will charge me for the update. I don't have an OBD to do it myself.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford system noted I had a bad brake light on one side of the trailer when I hooked up my trailer the first time to the '17. Sure enough, there was a bad bulb. Hopefully just adding the box and setting the ECU to recognize it will provide the same information for you.

-- Chuck

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the dielectric grease and checked the owner's manual for the fuses and relays. All are installed in fuse box on top of the radiator shroud. I will install the 7 pole tonight, the brake control module comes Monday. I am excited to install that, since it looks so easy. Then we will see how much the dealer will charge me for the update. I don't have an OBD to do it myself.

Your dealer very well may say they have no clue how to do it. And if they do I bet you are looking at no less than $125.

Spend the $20 on the ODBII module and do it yourself with ForScan

Don Plata

Reaction score
Your dealer very well may say they have no clue how to do it. And if they do I bet you are looking at no less than $125.

Spend the $20 on the ODBII module and do it yourself with ForScan

Just got back from the dealership. They wanted $118 flat fee. They had my Expedition on two separate occasions for 3 hours. They said they contacted the Ford engineer and the engineer said it can't be done on a 2017. The Ford Tech said they followed the steps to do it and it wouldn't work. They then said that it had to be installed by the factory to work. To which I said, why do they sell the part then? He said t is only for replacement not new. I asked, why are all the fuses, wiring and harness there then? They said it is cheaper to do it that way in the factory. At least they didn't charge me anything for no work done. I have a call into a second dealer to find out if this is true. Waiting to see what they say.

If this is true then I wouldn't be able to do it either, even if I had a ODBII and used Forscan, correct?

So has anyone on this forum had this done on a 2017 Expedition? Apparently the 2017 it can't be done.

Where do I get the ODBII and use ForScan? I followed the previous links in this thread and the ODII link didn't work.

Thanks everyone for your help.