2017 factory brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garyyuan

Reaction score
Me 1 Dealer 0! ForScan worked wonderfully! I went into the As-Built and changed the numbers as suggested on the spreadsheet. 8 for the Brake controller and 4 for the Gain. It was fantastic! Connected the 7 pole and immediately got the trailer connected notification on the dash. Tapped the brakes and got notification of the gain.

When I connected the OBDII to the computer and ran Forscan, every time it asked me to switch from HS-Can to MS-Can the program would crash and close. I just selected, I did not have the MS-Can toggle and it finished with just the HS-Scan and I was able to make the change in the IPC As-built. Some videos showed just click and play on the IPC module, but when I did that the Trailer brake controller didn't show up. So I clicked and played the IPC As-built and located the matching codes to change then wrote all. Worked like a charm! Only $30 for the OBDII and now I can check on error codes and do other things if I so desire. Oh don't forget to get the extended license of ForScan to do the module work. It is free as a forum member.

Thank you Black, Chuck S, and Char17EL for the help! Gave me confidence it would work!

I also found this on the ForScan forum site that gave me confidence that it would work.

f=16&t=5425&p=24158#p24158 https://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5425&p=24158#p24158

Also I got notification today from the supplier I got the Factory brake controller from that they would not take my controller back since it was an electronic that had been opened. So I had nothing to lose but in the end saved a quite a bit of money.
Me 1 Dealer 0! ForScan worked wonderfully! I went into the As-Built and changed the numbers as suggested on the spreadsheet. 8 for the Brake controller and 4 for the Gain. It was fantastic! Connected the 7 pole and immediately got the trailer connected notification on the dash. Tapped the brakes and got notification of the gain.

When I connected the OBDII to the computer and ran Forscan, every time it asked me to switch from HS-Can to MS-Can the program would crash and close. I just selected, I did not have the MS-Can toggle and it finished with just the HS-Scan and I was able to make the change in the IPC As-built. Some videos showed just click and play on the IPC module, but when I did that the Trailer brake controller didn't show up. So I clicked and played the IPC As-built and located the matching codes to change then wrote all. Worked like a charm! Only $30 for the OBDII and now I can check on error codes and do other things if I so desire. Oh don't forget to get the extended license of ForScan to do the module work. It is free as a forum member.

Thank you Black, Chuck S, and Char17EL for the help! Gave me confidence it would work!

I also found this on the ForScan forum site that gave me confidence that it would work.

f=16&t=5425&p=24158#p24158 https://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5425&p=24158#p24158

Also I got notification today from the supplier I got the Factory brake controller from that they would not take my controller back since it was an electronic that had been opened. So I had nothing to lose but in the end saved a quite a bit of money.

Don, I really appreciate you pioneered this work! I'm also planning to add the OEM TBC to my Expy 2017 too. But all of first, could you please share how to install the TBC to the cubby? I only found a demonstration on F-150 on Youtube as below. Are the steps similar?

Thanks,
Pyle

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went from a 2014 Expi with heavy duty towing package to 2017 Expi with the same towing package.

The biggest difference appears to be the multiple options that you can set using the left screen on the dash. On the 2014 the only thing I would set was the braking from 0.5-10.0.

There seems to be many more options on the 2017. I have not explored them yet. Is there a good video around that explains how it works?

Don Plata

Reaction score
@pyl
Don, I really appreciate you pioneered this work! I'm also planning to add the OEM TBC to my Expy 2017 too. But all of first, could you please share how to install the TBC to the cubby? I only found a demonstration on F-150 on Youtube as below. Are the steps similar?

Thanks,
Pyle
I am so sorry, I have been really busy and not in this forum for a while.

I did not have the plastic non-marring tools to pop out the cubby from the front, so I went from behind.

The switch out of the cubby to the TBC was really basic. I used a flashlight and looked up from under the steering wheel and followed the backside of the dash up to where I could see the TBC wiring harness attached to the back of the cubby. Once, I knew where the cubby was from the backside, I reached up then pushed up and out on the bottom tab of the cubby. The cubby then popped right out the front. Then I removed the wiring harness from the cubby and plugged it into the back of the TBC then pushed the TBC into the cubby spot until it clicked into place. Before you put the TBC make sure the +/- is on the right side and the override lever is on the left.

This may be too late for you. I apologize. Hopefully it will help some one else. I can get some pictures and attach, if needed.

Garyyuan

Reaction score
@pyl

I am so sorry, I have been really busy and not in this forum for a while.

I did not have the plastic non-marring tools to pop out the cubby from the front, so I went from behind.

The switch out of the cubby to the TBC was really basic. I used a flashlight and looked up from under the steering wheel and followed the backside of the dash up to where I could see the TBC wiring harness attached to the back of the cubby. Once, I knew where the cubby was from the backside, I reached up then pushed up and out on the bottom tab of the cubby. The cubby then popped right out the front. Then I removed the wiring harness from the cubby and plugged it into the back of the TBC then pushed the TBC into the cubby spot until it clicked into place. Before you put the TBC make sure the +/- is on the right side and the override lever is on the left.

This may be too late for you. I apologize. Hopefully it will help some one else. I can get some pictures and attach, if needed.
Thanks Don! I figured it out and shared it as below. Actually I have enjoyed a camp out with it already :)
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...controller-on-my-2017-expy.37376/#post-321975

-Pyle

Expy00

Reaction score
So not finding a 2107 Expedition EL with the Heavy Duty towing package, and the help from this forum, I bought yesterday a '17 Expy EL XLT 4WD with the 3.73 axle ratio. I plan to tow an 8600 lb trailer and will upgrade the xmission cooler, radiator and install the factory Trailer Brake Controller (TBC).

TBC question: I entered part no. FL1Z-2C006-D from this post and options to check for my vehicle (2017, Ford, Expedition were the only choices). The response was "It fits your vehicle."

There was an option to enter VIN to which the reply was it does not fit. (?)
I then researched the find related parts and found this one: FC3Z-19H332-AJ
replaced by: FC3Z-19H332-C
that fits
1FMJK1JTXHEAxxxxx 2017 Ford Expedition6 Cyl 3.5L GTDI; 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (6R80) Four Wheel Drive (Part Time) Extended Wagon.

Has anyone else experienced this part change? Does 4WD or EL or 3.73 axle make a difference?
Thanks in advance. This forum has been very helpful.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The HD Tow option may also include a stronger receiver (rear frame member where the hitch goes in).

Compare the data plate on the bottom of your receiver to mine. They may be all the same but this one is the HD Tow version on my "short wheel base" XLT:

IMG_3869.JPG

Maybe upside down, I tried to flip it. :)

-- Chuck

Expy00

Reaction score
So not finding a 2107 Expedition EL with the Heavy Duty towing package, and the help from this forum, I bought yesterday a '17 Expy EL XLT 4WD with the 3.73 axle ratio. I plan to tow an 8600 lb trailer and will upgrade the xmission cooler, radiator and install the factory Trailer Brake Controller (TBC).

TBC question: I entered part no. FL1Z-2C006-D from this post and options to check for my vehicle (2017, Ford, Expedition were the only choices). The response was "It fits your vehicle."

There was an option to enter VIN to which the reply was it does not fit. (?)
I then researched the find related parts and found this one: FC3Z-19H332-AJ
replaced by: FC3Z-19H332-C
that fits
1FMJK1JTXHEAxxxxx 2017 Ford Expedition6 Cyl 3.5L GTDI; 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (6R80) Four Wheel Drive (Part Time) Extended Wagon.

Has anyone else experienced this part change? Does 4WD or EL or 3.73 axle make a difference?
Thanks in advance. This forum has been very helpful.

So not receiving an answer, I purchased part number FC3Z-19H332-C. DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. It is a trailer control module but not an in-dash TBC. I have re-ordered the FL1Z-2C006-D. Hopefully, this is the correct part.

(FWIW, I suspect using my VIN the FordPartsGiant.com confirmed my Expedition does NOT have that part so it is not a replacement. Just my idea,)