2017 HID Headlamp Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in march I installed the 55W HIDs in my Limited EL. Several guys cautioned me not to use them because of higher heat, shorter bulb life etc. I did a lot of research online but I could not find anything that conclusively pointed to these issues other than that the 55W used a standard HID bulb but just put more current to it.

Fast forward to Sunday night. We were sitting in the drive thru line at Zesto's the local ice cream chain and I noticed that my driver's side headlamp was out. I turned the lights off and back on but no change. Monday morning I immediately reached out to XenonHIDs.com. They said to follow the troubleshooting procedure. Anyway in the back of my mind I kept thinking that I wanted to go with the 35W HIDs that's what I had in my 05 and they worked great plenty of light etc. So I ordered a set with the canbus ballast because it developed more lumens than the cheap ones.

The new system came in today and I installed it.

Before I post any pictures of the new install, I did make some interesting discoveries on the 55W system. I switched the ballasts, then igniters, and then bulbs from the side that was working and everything worked. Then I tried the individual components from the side that wasn't working and they worked. The only thing that I can think of is that one of the plugs must have been loose. Incidentally the double stick tape that held the ballasts to the side of the headlamp housing failed and both ballasts where hanging down on their wires.

I removed the 55W system components and installed the 35W system. The 35W system does not use separate igniters for the bulbs, they are built into the ballast. The ballast I mounted by using three small sheet metal screws that I coated with silicone and then drove them in being careful not to strip them. I used the same gray waterproof rubber duct tape to seal the opening where the wires pass through the housing. I checked the headlamps to make sure they were working and then I reinstalled them.

When it get's dark enough outside I'm going to take it for a ride to see if I notice a difference. I also raised the right hand headlamp up because it has always felt like it was pointing too low.

IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_5721.JPG
IMG_5722.JPG

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've GOT to tease you brother.....how much you into those headlights now???? Hmmmm????

I've got 35 bucks into my LEDS!

Relax brother, I'm just yanking at the chain hanging right in front of me!!

If I can't f*ck with my friend, who can I f with??

jeff

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff its only money. :D Fortunately I returned the LEDs that I tried and didn't work for me for a full refund. I'll probably sell the 55W set eventually. so for right now I'm into it for about $225.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the GTR Lighting GEN 3 Ultra Series LED Headlight Bulbs - 9005 / HB3 for high beams?

-- Chuck
I tried two different sets of LEDs for the high beams but the problem was anything with a fan would not fit because it hit the edge of the opening and was at an angle so it would not go fit in the socket. I suspect but haven't tried it that some of the ones with the braided heat sink may fit if the the back isn't too tall.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried two different sets of LEDs for the high beams but the problem was anything with a fan would not fit because it hit the edge of the opening and was at an angle so it would not go fit in the socket. I suspect but haven't tried it that some of the ones with the braided heat sink may fit if the the back isn't too tall.

Try these https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-bulbs/9005-morimoto-2stroke-51617.html
with 2 of these..
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/closeouts/funky-housing-cap.html

Thats how I put in my leds.. Pretty easy.
The fans on the backs were rather large but with the caps that these come with and the funky housing covers I modified... nothing is permanent modified, just 2 large fast ties around the base of the funky caps at the normal housing.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try these https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-bulbs/9005-morimoto-2stroke-51617.html
with 2 of these..
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/closeouts/funky-housing-cap.html

Thats how I put in my leds.. Pretty easy.
The fans on the backs were rather large but with the caps that these come with and the funky housing covers I modified... nothing is permanent modified, just 2 large fast ties around the base of the funky caps at the normal housing.
The problem that I have with the Projector headlamps is the bulb is offset so the fan hits the side of the round opening that the rubber dust caps attach to (speaking of the high beams).

For the low beams the LEDs I purchased didn't have the LEDs in the right location to focus the beam properly so I went with the HIDs and I'm happy with them.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just adjusted my headlamps up significantly higher and I have really good light throw now. It might be just a little high, but now I can see a clear cutoff line on houses as I drive through the neighborhood and I light up signs on the side of the road. I'm starting to be a lot more happier with the head lights on this Expedition.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for this Andy. After the all the off-road I am doing (wintertime?), I will check my taping to see if things are still in place. So far, the 55W system is working great. But with summer here, there is limited use of my headlights. By dark time, I am listing for the ol' beddy bye.