2017 HID Headlamp Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this Andy. After the all the off-road I am doing (wintertime?), I will check my taping to see if things are still in place. So far, the 55W system is working great. But with summer here, there is limited use of my headlights. By dark time, I am listing for the ol' beddy bye.
When I set up my HIDs I turned the plug around that plugs into the oval connector with the tab. I didn't realize that I could reverse the other end and still use the locking tab. Anyway, I didn't tape one and it came loose. So everything is working and it was my own fault.

The key here was that my lights were really pointed at the ground. Now that I threw caution to the wind and adjusted them, they are much better. As I said up there, :waytogo: I think I may have them just a little bit high, but before I adjust them down, I am going to drive around in traffic to see if I get flashed. If I do, I will back them down, if I don't I'll leave me as I have them now.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Sylvania Ultra halogens are the best quick fix. Like they were in my '07. Read several web article on light pattern problems with most LEDs.

-- Chuck
Chuck, the best fix was to replace the factory halogens with HIDs and that's what this thread is about. Along the way I tried LEDs but I couldn't find bright enough ones that I liked that had the LED chips in the right place to focus the light through the factory projectors, which is why I went HIDs. I would have liked to have used LEDs but the ones that I picked weren't very bright although they were the brightest that I could find in terms of lumens.

Now that I have my lights properly adjusted (or close) I suspect that the factory halogens would have been okay but no where near as bright as what I have now.

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
Hey Andy,
Just got back from my first road trip in my Expy (16.8 MPG @ 78 MPH when I could, a/c @ 70, two adults & three kids, big cargo carrier on top, and five bikes on the back -- not too shabby), and had my first extensive experience driving it at night. The halogens just aren't cutting it! Even my wife asked at one point, "Are your headlights on?"

Can you point me to the 35w HIDs you installed?

Thanks,
Vinnie

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Vinnie,

Sounds like you got great mileage with that load! :D One thing that I found is from the factory, the headlamps are pointed at the ground and don't throw the lights very far, so even with the HIDs, you are going to have to raise them way up to get the kind of performance you want. Ask me how I know. :)

Here is the link to the site where I bought my HIDs. This is a very good company. https://www.xenonhids.com/9005-single-beam-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

I ordered the 9005 with the 5000K color it is the bright white color and it matched the LED fog lights (if that is important). I also went with the 35W Canbus ballasts and didn't get the cancellers or the relay kit. You don't really need it unless you want to install it. This picture is how I ordered them. When you go to that link, you will have to make the selections. These are the ones that I made:

HIDs.JPG

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are my headlamps, normal low beams, and high beams. The truck is about 20' feet from the wall roughly in these pictures. The truck is pointing slightly down hill.

Low Beams:

IMG_5729.JPG

High Beams:

IMG_5730.JPG

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like Jeff I went with the leds and after trial and error I settled on a set that work great. I don't use my high beams ever so I left the stock bulbs for those. I've had nothing but issues with hids in the past so I went with leds. Cheaper to

Glad the hids are working for you

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Jeff I went with the leds and after trial and error I settled on a set that work great. I don't use my high beams ever so I left the stock bulbs for those. I've had nothing but issues with hids in the past so I went with leds. Cheaper to

Glad the hids are working for you
Thanks 07,

I had them on my 05 and they worked great. The only issue I had on the 05 was occasionally the left headlamp wouldn't come on and I tracked that down to the switch. I'd just turn it off and turn it back on and it would light. I really wanted LEDs just so I didn't have to deal with the ballasts and that was my first choice. Unfortunately I didn't find a set that had the lumens that I wanted that lined up in the reflector to produce a nice beam.

What did you wind up going with and do you know the lumen output? Did you have to cut a hole in the rubber dust cover for the fan?

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Andy. I am ordering tonight!

I have (factory) Xenon's in my Merc, and I really like the visibility -- they are so bright people occasionally flash me even on low beams even though they are aimed correctly.

Those are the factory halogen high beams in your pics, right?

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have (factory) Xenon's in my Merc, and I really like the visibility -- they are so bright people occasionally flash me even on low beams even though they are aimed correctly.

Use THANKS10 as a code to get an extra 10% off.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are the factory projectors with the 35W HID bulbs. You will have to aim your projectors up because the factory position is pointing at the ground and not up where they need to be.