2017 transmission doesn't engage/pull in forward or reverse, no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racer_dave

Reaction score
2017 Expy Limited 95,000 miles EcoBoost

Driving home from work (slick roads) had it in 4-automatic due to the roads. When I got to a section of the roads that were dry I noticed a little shudder- not bad at all- just the feel you get when driving a 4x4 on dry roads. Went to 2H and finished the drive home, no issues- about 35 miles of town/hwy driving.

Later, same night- jumped in the Expy to head across town- took the interstate. 75mph, no issues. About 8 miles down the interstate the trans stops pulling. No bang, no grind no noise at all. I only noticed because I'm slowing down as the engine rpm stays up. Engine just freewheels, not slipping a band. I shifted to neutral and the engine responds as normal. Shifted back into drive, engine revs, no pull. Moved from 2H to 4A to 4H to see if it was diff or trans- no difference. Back to 2H, now only doing about 20- went to manual mode nothing in any gear. Got stopped, turned it off then on and tried reverse and all fwd gears... nothing. Not acting like a loose band as it just lets the engine rev, doesn't act like something slipping... just nothing.

Got it towed home and today started it, when I put it in reverse I get a ratcheting sound, but it does try to move the vehicle a little bit. In drive it pulls a little at idle but not right.

It is not giving any codes, no engine light. No drips, nothing loose, no rattles or clunks.

So, I'm thinking it has to be the torque converter control solenoid or the pressure valve? Only thing I can think of. If it was bands I'd get something in the other gears or I'd have felt it slip some on earlier drives. If line pressure was too high(stuck open) I'd get thumps as I shifted. If its stuck closed then I'd get nothing in any gear, which this kind of feels like?

Any insight is appreciated.

Dave