2017 used or 2018 new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In our 2014, two car seats comfortably fit next to each other (one in the middle) in the 2nd row, allowing the third seat to flip up. We didn't want to have a car seat in the third row, because it's a pain taking them in and out when we need the space in the back for cargo. The 2018s are cool, but I personally feel they are overpriced at this point. Since you mention in your original post "gas cost does concern me", going with the 2017 would net you far more savings each month than any meager fuel savings you may attain in the 2018. That said, again, the 2018 are pretty cool.
Ah, but if you have 3 or more small kids, the tip and slide is invaluable. It lets us put all three car seats in the 2nd row (so we don't have to climb into the 3rd row to strap anyone in) and the 4th kid can still easily access her seat in the 3rd row.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and I are in complete agreement here. There's tons and tons of old Expeditions still on the road. But how many of them (by percentage) are still lovingly maintained* by their original owners and/or painstakingly cared for and restored/refurbished by 2nd/3rd/4th owners? Are there people on the forum doing this? Yes. That's largely what makes forums like these successful. But by the same token, there's a bunch of people over on the various Jaguar forums who always saw the S-type and only ever associated it with the Mark 2 and Mark 2 owners. It's just that the average person saw the S-type and associated it with the Amanti and Amanti owners...

*How many do you see on the road with the *ss end dragging because the current owner can't be bothered to fix the air suspension? I see a lot...

I guess it depends the owner. I maintain mine with OEM parts from Ford and if something breaks it gets fixed, it’s been and continues to be a great capable truck. I think there are careless owners in every segment.

mike devlin

Reaction score
IT is great to see that the dealers are finally starting to discount the new expy. I'm not in the market yet but things are looking better for when I am.
I bought mine at same pricing from Koons and drove it back to Boston as I was in DC anyways. Bought it in April. No one was discounting like that in new england.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

slay

Reaction score
Does seem like the DC area dealers advertise the most significant discounts when compared to other regions. Not sure why that is but no one in the Chicago area (that I have found at least) advertises anything close to what I see at Koons and other DC dealers.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does seem like the DC area dealers advertise the most significant discounts when compared to other regions. Not sure why that is but no one in the Chicago area (that I have found at least) advertises anything close to what I see at Koons and other DC dealers.

Yup, its true for GM, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, and probably others. I think DC is a big market, lots of competition.

FurryFord

Reaction score
I did exactly what coolzzy did, I couldn’t justify paying double just for a couple of extras.
The extra hp and torque can be had with a tune, having my 4 kids open up or drop the seat to access the 3rd row was the same as my Yukon XL,
the 10 speed compared to the 6 isn’t a deal breaker either. I can tell you all one thing, after a lifetime of Chevys and GMCs, I never knew that this Ecoboost could spank my old V8 6.0 this badly in every sense, from regular family hauling to pulling our 30 ft travel trailer and getting crazy good gas mileage! Went from 24Litres/100kms regular driving and 33Litres/100kms hauling with my 2011 Yukon XL 3/4, to 14Litres/100kms and 20Litres/100kms hauling.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did exactly what coolzzy did, I couldn’t justify paying double just for a couple of extras.
The extra hp and torque can be had with a tune, having my 4 kids open up or drop the seat to access the 3rd row was the same as my Yukon XL,
the 10 speed compared to the 6 isn’t a deal breaker either. I can tell you all one thing, after a lifetime of Chevys and GMCs, I never knew that this Ecoboost could spank my old V8 6.0 this badly in every sense, from regular family hauling to pulling our 30 ft travel trailer and getting crazy good gas mileage! Went from 24Litres/100kms regular driving and 33Litres/100kms hauling with my 2011 Yukon XL 3/4, to 14Litres/100kms and 20Litres/100kms hauling.

I was reading your post and had to change the numbers to gallon and miles to make sense to me. I came up with the following"

3.5 motor 17 mpg - not towing
11.8 mpg - towing

6.0 motor 9.8 - not towing
7.1 - towing

It seem that the mileage you were getting on the 6.0 was terrible and the mileage on the 3.5 is only fair at best. Please check my figures as I may have made a mistake. Thanks

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reading your post and had to change the numbers to gallon and miles to make sense to me. I came up with the following"

11.8 mpg - towing

7.1 - towing

It seem that the mileage you were getting on the 6.0 was terrible and the mileage on the 3.5 is only fair at best. Please check my figures as I may have made a mistake. Thanks

That seems reasonable on the 3.5 depending on driving style. I’ve got 6600 miles on my ‘18 and I have a 15.6mpg lifetime average (no towing).

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score

11.8 mpg - towing

7.1 - towing

ALso note you are comparing a half ton vehicle to a 3/4 ton vehicle.....not an apples to apples comparison. The 3/4 will be geared much differently to be better set up for hauling, which will largely impact MPG's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire