2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReggieRudy

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited and it is leaking too. It just happened to me this weekend when it was raining all weekend. Mine is leaking in a couple of places. One is in the front floor board on the driver's side. The water was running down the left side of the car and was coming out around the Emergency brake. The other was above the captain's chairs in the 2nd row and water was pouring out of the air vent and the light on the driver's side of the car. The car had been sitting for about two hours and when we opened the door we saw water pouring in the car from the top.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited and it is leaking too. It just happened to me this weekend when it was raining all weekend. Mine is leaking in a couple of places. One is in the front floor board on the driver's side. The water was running down the left side of the car and was coming out around the Emergency brake. The other was above the captain's chairs in the 2nd row and water was pouring out of the air vent and the light on the driver's side of the car. The car had been sitting for about two hours and when we opened the door we saw water pouring in the car from the top.

Welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear about your water issue. I can honestly say that I haven’t experienced that. I parked out side for the first year and a half.

Can you tell us if you were parked on hill nose up or down or if you parked on a level surface when this happened?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the front leak, check the area where the plastic "A" pillar molding meets the headliner above the driver's door. Is this soaked? If it is, the water may be getting in around the door weatherstrip, wicking through the fabric of the headliner, and running down the back side of the A-pillar molding into the dash. If not, it might be a leak coming from the moonroof (assuming you have one since it's a Limited).

JVIP1973

Reaction score
So I guess I am having similar water issues.
2017 Expedition El Limited
I purchased this brand new, no accidents and for the first 1 1/2 years it had been in the garage as an extra vehicle. Now that we are driving it every day we have had a weird water issue in the drivers side 3 rd row seat window area of the head liner.
It has been at my local Greenville Sc ford dealer.
Approximately 6 times now for the same leak.
So Far the dealer verified
1- sunroof drains are not the issue.
2- roof rack is not the issue
3 - replaced the power drivers side 3 rd row side window. 5 or 6 times
The leak has not changed
Nose up , nose down or parked flat it leaks out the same spot.
I can go through high pressure car washes. NO LEAKS
But every rain storm we have heavy or light I have water filling my drivers side only 3 rd row cup holder,storage compartment, and carpet on the same side is wet.
This has now been going on for 6 months and has been in the dealer for a total of 5-7 weeks with no resolution.
I picked it up last week with a no leak found but every weekend for the last 3 weekends in a row we have had rain and a wet interior. Yes I dried it up after each time I found water. We have to have a common issue here. I can say I have purchased many new fords over the years with no issues. I just want to find a resolution before I am out of warranty and before the mold starts inside my truck.

C5BE1C8E-D6EF-48E7-8FE4-7D38B315757E.jpeg

857535B2-B5F1-4644-9DA2-63524206CCAA.jpeg

F5C746B8-32D3-4756-8801-850E082596F0.jpeg

D5A193FE-B8AD-4B48-B237-9EEC923B702B.jpeg

5B21EA65-B58C-4475-8A01-8180AA939369.jpeg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I guess I am having similar water issues.
2017 Expedition El Limited
I purchased this brand new, no accidents and for the first 1 1/2 years it had been in the garage as an extra vehicle. Now that we are driving it every day we have had a weird water issue in the drivers side 3 rd row seat window area of the head liner.
It has been at my local Greenville Sc ford dealer.
Approximately 6 times now for the same leak.
So Far the dealer verified
1- sunroof drains are not the issue.
2- roof rack is not the issue
3 - replaced the power drivers side 3 rd row side window. 5 or 6 times
The leak has not changed
Nose up , nose down or parked flat it leaks out the same spot.
I can go through high pressure car washes. NO LEAKS
But every rain storm we have heavy or light I have water filling my drivers side only 3 rd row cup holder,storage compartment, and carpet on the same side is wet.
This has now been going on for 6 months and has been in the dealer for a total of 5-7 weeks with no resolution.
I picked it up last week with a no leak found but every weekend for the last 3 weekends in a row we have had rain and a wet interior. Yes I dried it up after each time I found water. We have to have a common issue here. I can say I have purchased many new fords over the years with no issues. I just want to find a resolution before I am out of warranty and before the mold starts inside my truck.

View attachment 29023

View attachment 29024

View attachment 29025

View attachment 29026

View attachment 29027

I own a 2015 Ford Expediton Limited 4x4 - purchased new.

Your dealer technician(s) are incompetent. Have you tried another dealer? Good luck.

pglei

Reaction score
Just got wet in my new to me 50K mile 2017 EL at the stop sign at the end of my street about 1/2 cup water dropped on me. If there was a front passenger they would have been soaked with at least a 2 cups of water that dropped out from the cutout for the sunroof. The vehicle was parked in the driveway slight incline. Big rainstorm last night. Rained during the day yesterday vehicle was parked flat no issue. Betting that if it was backed in the driveway I wouldn't have had to turnaround to change this morning. Calling dealer soon.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember folks the headliner on our trucks is a plastic material with the fabric glued to the outside. That plastic doesn't pass water through it. So, if there's a leak in the roof, it can pool up over the headliner until it finds its way out somewhere. You probably had a bunch of water sitting up there and when you started moving it sloshed around and found a way out.

Because of the way the headliner is constructed, the leak might not be anywhere near where the water is being found. In my case, the leak was most likely directly over the driver's door but the water ended up dripping out of my dash near the parking brake release.

It doesn't help that our roofs have "stiffener" channels stamped into them that hold water. This can cause corrosion and also promote growth of certain organisms that eat through paint over time. Once the paint is compromised, the rust begins and that can lead to holes in the roof.

With all the issues people have been having, it seems most of them have moonroofs. So, that could be the most likely culprit. After that, I would look at roof rack penetration points, the satellite antenna, and don't forget to make a careful inspection of *all* body opening weatherstripping. In my last truck, the front door had been replaced. When reinstalling the weatherstrip around the opening, they didn't pinch it closed tight enough at the very top center. That was just enough to let water in. But, the water wasn't visible at the place where the leak was happening so it took a while to track it down.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
front A pillar area is almost always clogged sun roof drains. they run through the A pillar. could be clogged at end under truck , which is easy
its a small tube

that pic of the rear area...did you look at the big vent window to make sure its closed or the seal is not twisted or bent?
i never open mine, not sure why they even have it as an operable vent

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have worked on a few Expeditions that had tree nuts stored above the headliners...I have no idea how the rodents get up there to do that. So there has to be an opening/leak point somewhere.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have worked on a few Expeditions that had tree nuts stored above the headliners...I have no idea how the rodents get up there to do that. So there has to be an opening/leak point somewhere.
omg that would suck
but rodents can do some amazing seek and destroy missions
our neighbors KIA ad all its under hood wiring insulation eaten by a squirrel
turns out the insulation is made from SOY instead of petroleum and almost all the cars now have wiring insulated with soy based products. so now the wiring comes infused with capsacian so the critters wont eat it....hilarious