2018 exp max engine coolant > 240

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cwellman

Reaction score
Well, Ford is saying that it’s a clogged radiator. A radiator kit is not covered under warranty even though we are under 60,000 miles and it will be approximately $1300 to fix. On top of everything we’ve had to do to this lemon of a new vehicle, I think I’m done with it. They’re not even sure that it will 100% fix the issue but say it needs to be done. They’ve checked everything else I’ve mentioned from this thread and it’s all fine.

mlogan

Reaction score
Wonder if this applies to the 2015 Expy/earlier ecoboost - I think Gen I - looks like an upgraded part ending in B for that thermostat as well.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, Ford is saying that it’s a clogged radiator. A radiator kit is not covered under warranty even though we are under 60,000 miles and it will be approximately $1300 to fix. On top of everything we’ve had to do to this lemon of a new vehicle, I think I’m done with it. They’re not even sure that it will 100% fix the issue but say it needs to be done. They’ve checked everything else I’ve mentioned from this thread and it’s all fine.
That’s sad they say it’s not covered under Powertrain but what also worries me is if that’s really what’s wrong. A clogged radiator is possible but I haven’t seen that on a newer car with an aluminum radiator in years and usually it’s on a really old car. Maybe there’s debris in the front of the radiator and it’s not internally clogged on the coolant side? I’d call Ford corporate directly to see if they will provide assistance. In my opinion, when a car runs this hot it should also have the thermostat replaced with any coolant repair as well or it will usually fail shortly after if it’s really not the problem now.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it home and change the thermostat first. I guess this will be the issue.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Expedition with HD Tow package, 62k miles, had cam phasers done about six month ago. Like others, heard cooling fans running hard after running a quick errand. Opened hood, coolant was low, couldn’t see any leaks. Checked engine oil, it was fine. Took to dealer who diagnosed water pump was leaking coolant out of weep hole. Had dealer replace water pump. Drove to Colorado and engine temperature started appearing above the gauge, reading about 234 degrees when driving with my truck rather loaded with people and gear while climbing on a freeway at 75mph with air temperature around 60 degrees. Had similar experience on same trip with vehicle not loaded, driving up 7% grade at 45mph with outdoor temperature of 40 degrees.
The coolant reservoir was filled above the max line from the dealer after water pump replacement.
I have pulled my boat numerous times in 100 degree outdoor temperature maintaining 75mph, never having a problem.
Any tips or comments? I will return the truck to the dealer who did the water pump. Likely they will not duplicate the problem. Since the water pump was replaced under my Ford extended warranty, have no idea if thermostat was replaced.

NC12South

Reaction score
Not sure if this was discussed before, but the thermostat design has been changed and it is a major change. Check out lincoln forums to see the whole chain and more photos, but here is what the new thermostat looks like and engine data before and after. The temperature change is significant in both engine and transmission. Old thermostat on the left.

Attachments

• F40694D6-9941-46C6-B9E8-ADB0DB857755.png
    F40694D6-9941-46C6-B9E8-ADB0DB857755.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 9601DD57-9F2C-4DCB-98FD-2D7F2D204984.jpeg
    9601DD57-9F2C-4DCB-98FD-2D7F2D204984.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 20
  • FC1D605D-1C0A-4172-8540-6DE8DE77601D.jpeg
    FC1D605D-1C0A-4172-8540-6DE8DE77601D.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 21

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if this was discussed before, but the thermostat design has been changed and it is a major change. Check out lincoln forums to see the whole chain and more photos, but here is what the new thermostat looks like and engine data before and after. The temperature change is significant in both engine and transmission. Old thermostat on the left.
I changed the thermostat as a preventative measure to the most up to date PN. It has reduced the engine and transmission temperature by about 10-15°F. Prior to changing the engine was 205 to 212° and the transmission was 200 to 210°. After changing, the engine temperature is 190 to 200° and the transmission is 185 to 195°.