2018 Expedition vs. 2017 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Used 2018 Ford Expedition MAX Limited Specs & Features
Engine
Horsepower375 hp @ 5000 rpm
Torque470 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
Valve timingVariable
Valves24

turtle019

Reaction score
The tilt/slide seats on the 4th gen make it MUCH easier to get into the 3rd row vs the tumble seats on the 3rd gen. As much as I love my 3rd gen, the 2nd row seats in my brother's 4th gen have me jealous. With 3 kids in car seats I would say consider a 4th gen 2nd row bench. You can still access the 3rd row without removing the car seat if you want to spread out, but you can also load them all in the 2nd row to keep them in easy reach or throw something big in the back. On a 3rd gen the back row basically becomes inaccessible with car seats on a 2nd row bench.
Before my 17 Expedition I had a 15 Navigator. Both had 20" wheels, the Navigator had CCD and the Expedition does not. For sure a softer ride with CCD, but I think the Expedition is perfectly comfortable without it. Had I not had the Navigator I wouldn't know I was missing out on anything
3rd gen Navigators with tow package did not come with integrated TBCs. They had a prep harness for adding an aftermarket one
Both are great products. An up optioned 18 Expedition will have more features than a 17 Navigator. I'd say go 4th gen if you can, but at the same time I have no plans to replace my 3rd gen any time soon.

p38fln

Reaction score
You absolutely want the Max unless you aren’t going to use the back row. The regular expedition/ Navigator barely has room for a suitcase behind the 3rd row. The 3rd row headrests just about touch the rear glass.
EL/Max has almost enough room for a full size clothes washer behind the 3rd row.

Also, adding the navigation system seems to automatically give you the captains chairs, so look for an expedition EL with navigation- they usually advertise Nav a bit heavier than captains chairs.

Also on the Lincoln, most dealers order them with a center console in the second row so the captains chairs don’t allow for easy movement to the third row like on the expedition, if that’s what you were going for.

All expedition/ navigator second row outboard seats are the same size, captains chairs just adds arm rests.

So short answer:
If you need more than 4 seats on a routine basis (with captains chairs) you will really, really want the EL/max

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found this '18 MAX Platinum with captains seats and the Tow Package. $55k for 66k miles. Meets all the requirements (except price), plus adds the extra features of the Platinum. What are the biggest upgrades on the Platinum vs. a Limited?

View attachment 70558

Hp bump(only on 91 and above), massage seats, slightly more upscale exterior/interior trim. With how the uses car market is going, it's going to be a tough search for what your looking for. That ones def gonna be snatched up soon because for some reason, people want houses and cars right now.

OP
OP
cobalt_boater

cobalt_boater

Reaction score
This might be the one. '18 Max Limited with HD Tow Package, Captains Chairs, 22" Wheels, plus the LED Headlights and 360 Camera. $51k for 61k miles. Still a lot of money for a vehicle with that many miles. But this is where the market is unfortunately. And it's a whole lot of vehicle that I will definitely utilize with my growing family and towing needs.

What do you think? Anything specific I should be checking? Carfax 1-owner, no accidents, maintenance appears up to date.

Untitled.png

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would grab that while you can. It has the options you want, and gotta love the color.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This might be the one. '18 Max Limited with HD Tow Package, Captains Chairs, 22" Wheels, plus the LED Headlights and 360 Camera. $51k for 61k miles. Still a lot of money for a vehicle with that many miles. But this is where the market is unfortunately. And it's a whole lot of vehicle that I will definitely utilize with my growing family and towing needs.

What do you think? Anything specific I should be checking? Carfax 1-owner, no accidents, maintenance appears up to date.

View attachment 70628
Cam phasers. See if the update was preformed.

OP
OP
cobalt_boater

cobalt_boater

Reaction score
FlyBry - white is my wife's preferred color as well. This one is about 5 hours away so trying to coordinate the logistics now. Considering having the local Ford Dealer do an inspection (it's at a Toyota dealer).

Rob6805 - does this appear that the Cam Phaser update was performed?
Untitled2.png

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d grab it while you can if the CarFax is clean and the oil services were done in time. The one I just bought about 3 months ago is the same options minus the tow package and we picked it up with the same mileage and price.