2018 Max with Class IV Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coopboom

Reaction score
Question for the forum. We have a 2018 with the Class IV tow package. Not HD. We have a horse trailer and need to tow around 6,000lb fully loaded on flat highways within 100 miles maybe 3 -4 times a year. Currently the truck tows with no issues or over heating issues. Temps normal.
How much do people tow with this package? Up to 9,000lb?

My dealer, Service manager told me with the 10 speed and the class IV package I can tow 9,000lb on flat roads everyday. Just mountains and hills would be an issue. Thoughts?

Nightfire

Reaction score
Question for the forum. We have a 2018 with the Class IV tow package. Not HD. We have a horse trailer and need to tow around 6,000lb fully loaded on flat highways within 100 miles maybe 3 -4 times a year. Currently the truck tows with no issues or over heating issues. Temps normal.

My dealer, Service manager told me with the 10 speed and the class IV package I can tow 9,000lb on flat roads everyday. Just mountains and hills would be an issue. Thoughts?

Any modern Expy can tow 9k and beyond so long as you use common sense.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't have the HD tow pkg, your truck isn't outfitted properly to tow over 6k lbs. If your only towing the 6k lbs, you should have no issues with the conditions you need.

Nightfire

Reaction score
Because magic stickers. There is little difference between these models in towing capacity that justifies the huge uncharge that they get to stick it to you so you can tow your camper.

Everyone can read the brochure and know the regulations but at some point you need to have some balls and use some common sense or else large corporations will gladly stick it to you the rest of your life.

UTEngineer

Reaction score

upload_2021-6-14_7-40-51.png

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been said that if you have an accident with a vehicle towing over the designated towing limits your insurance company will deny the claim.

Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been said that if you have an accident with a vehicle towing over the designated towing limits your insurance company will deny the claim.

Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this?

I think this sounds like a question for an insurer, not speculation on a public forum.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any modern Expy can tow 9k and beyond so long as you use common sense.
Yes they can all physically move 9000 lbs, but beyond that is too much and dangerous. They aren't designed for it. Legally no, not all expeditions are able to tow this much weight. As has been mentioned already, insurance companies will deny an accident claim if they find out you were towing outside your limit.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this sounds like a question for an insurer, not speculation on a public forum.
Exactly. I think it’s safe to say anyone who offers you a guarantee that exceeding your vehicle’s tow or payload capacity is either completely safe or NOT illegal is full of it. Of course your insurance company can try to deny your claim! I mean they might not but I think that’s a worthless calculation.

Last edited: