2018 tail lamp fogging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DukeandDarla

Reaction score
Hi all. Has anyone delt with the issue of moisture getting caught in their tail lamps? The condensation builds up in my 18’ limited max, drips and just looks like garbage. They work fine otherwise. You cannot see too much in the pictures. I’ll post some updated ones when it does it again. Just wondering if anyone has DIY remedies for this. Both tail lamps have done it since I bought the vehicle. Ford told me this is “normal”.

Attachments

• IMG_6350.jpeg
    IMG_6350.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6351.jpeg
    IMG_6351.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 13

Deep8174

Reaction score
Hi all. Has anyone delt with the issue of moisture getting caught in their tail lamps? The condensation builds up in my 18’ limited max, drips and just looks like garbage. They work fine otherwise. You cannot see too much in the pictures. I’ll post some updated ones when it does it again. Just wondering if anyone has DIY remedies for this. Both tail lamps have done it since I bought the vehicle. Ford told me this is “normal”.
I got this checked out as well and I've noticed this on more humid days. Local Ford also said it's normal but would do something about it if the condensation is heavy enough to bead down - only then would it be a warrantable claim.

OP
OP
DukeandDarla

DukeandDarla

Reaction score
I got this checked out as well and I've noticed this on more humid days. Local Ford also said it's normal but would do something about it if the condensation is heavy enough to bead down - only then would it be a warrantable claim.
Yeah I live in Florida so I constantly see it. Especially on rainy days there’s so much humidity and beading. It’s been at the dealer months at a time for unrelated issues and all they say is “it’s normal”. They actually lied and said they replaced the tail lamps twice. And I know they didn’t because they have the same hairline cracks in certain places, as well as the condensation build up. I gave up on them doing anything about it so I’m looking into home remedies.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I live in Florida so I constantly see it. Especially on rainy days there’s so much humidity and beading. It’s been at the dealer months at a time for unrelated issues and all they say is “it’s normal”. They actually lied and said they replaced the tail lamps twice. And I know they didn’t because they have the same hairline cracks in certain places, as well as the condensation build up. I gave up on them doing anything about it so I’m looking into home remedies.

Did you receive an invoice showing the tail lamps were replaced under warranty?

If so, perhaps file a fraud claim with Ford customer service regarding the matter?

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I experienced this. Here’s my story…
Changed my reverse bulbs to Sylvania LED’s awhile back. Nice and bright. No issues.

Then I came across these Anzo Sequential LED Taillights at Vivid Racing. They are badass; trust me. Installed them on the truck. All was good… for about a month. The driver side started to fog/ get condensation inside.

Anzo sent me another set. On that set the passenger side LED failed to illuminate just after the first 30 days.

Sent them back for a full refund. Found them cheaper at Parts Geek of all places. Since I’m a gluten for punishment I got them. Driver side fogged again. But, this time I noticed something. The gasket on the afternoon LED reverse bulb was thicker than the OEM setup; made it much harder to install. What I noticed was it was so hard to install that it had become deformed under the pressure.

When I got the bulbs installed I added a little dab of rtv around the base of the bulb where it meets the taillight house.

That fixed the issue. Been since September-October when this was accomplished.

Attachments

• IMG_2134.jpeg
    IMG_2134.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member