2019 Expedition making a bad sound when cold starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just picked up this used 2020 Expedition Max... is this similar to what is going on with yours? This one had the PCM reprogrammed for the Cam Phasers but no actual repair. Do ya'll think i need to bring it in?

I don't hear the cam phaser issue (search in YouTube for the sound). Do you hear any rattles when deaccelerating (hit the gas in a drive-thru with the window down)? I had that kind of rattle & turned out to be a bad waste gate actuator. Ford replaced the driver's side turbo under warranty & rattles have yet to return to date.

KnoxExpy

Reaction score
Thank you! So, do you think the turbo could be the cause of this high pitch whining sound on acceleration also?

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Girthquake Under boost that whistle is normal. However, it may be the way your mic picks it up but that sound is on the loud side compared to mine. Doesn’t hurt to have it looked at by Ford (warranty work). Only if the whistle bothers you of course.