2019 Shock BAD at 30kmi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, I’m not sure about another Ford product myself. The dealership experience at Ford isn’t near where it is at Toyota/Lexus as it relates to service.
If you find a good dealer, everything is more pleasant. Trust me.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey now Ford isn't the only one experiencing these problems and Don't think that one bad Ford means all Fords are bad. We have close to 90k miles on our F150 and it has caused us zero problems. We also had an Expedition to 140k miles and that had minimal problems also.

90k isn't even broken in yet, so I wouldn't be singing it's praises just yet. If you can make it to 200k without any major issues then I think you've had a pretty good run. That aside, Ford has been having a lot more quality/reliability issues than the competition in recent years - by a huge margin.

At Ford, Quality Is Now Problem 1

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same issue with the shocks, about the same mileage, 3 out of 4 leaking. Only noticed it because of an oil spot in the driveway; it was dripping off the rear lower control arm. I replaced them with bilstein shocks (fronts still to do). Didn’t bother replacing them with the same shock that’s going to leak, again.

Steve Sprinkle

Reaction score
Did an undercarriage inspection of our 2019 Expedition MAX with 30kmi today. Everything looked fine until I got to the front drivers side, noticed the front shock was caked and covered in oil from top to bottom. Couldn’t even see the label on the shock, touched it with my finger and got sludge. All the other shocks were squeaky clean. I’m going to notify the dealer tomorrow and hopefully get it replaced under warranty.
Don't wait...I had 3 bad shocks very early in the life of my 2015 but paid out of pocket to fix because I waited too long to take to the dealer...

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
Did an undercarriage inspection of our 2019 Expedition MAX with 30kmi today. Everything looked fine until I got to the front drivers side, noticed the front shock was caked and covered in oil from top to bottom. Couldn’t even see the label on the shock, touched it with my finger and got sludge. All the other shocks were squeaky clean. I’m going to notify the dealer tomorrow and hopefully get it replaced under warranty.
I have a 2019 Limited , and replaced them all within 50K they all leaked for some reason? 130K now and all good!

Richard Nall

Reaction score
I have bought Fords almost exclusively for my whole life. I always felt like they were very good quality, until I purchased the two that I have now. I have a '16 Expedition and a '17 Super Duty diesel and they are just not good and yes the shocks on my Expedition are and have been a problem.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! 30k!! You did GREAT!! My fronts went pre 15k. I am hoping I get 30 K out of my rear shocks. I will keep using the Ford shocks until my extended warranty runs out. I hear that now some dealerships are calling the rear “Struts“ shocks so they don’t have to replace them under warranty. It will be interesting to see what happens. Honestly, this just mystifies me. Should be a re-design, and a recall.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Give it time.... your cam phasers will self destruct too... ask me how i know.... this will be the last Ford I ever buy
Aaaaaaand the cam phasers just took a crap last week! Had to reply as I remembered you saying this. I’m blown away by the major issues this car has had. Transmission rebuild at 38k, rear end 3xs, and now the cam phasers…needless to say we’ll be getting rid of the MAX as soon as we find a replacement….not a Ford product.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All my 4 shocks blew up at 63k miles. I have 2019 XLT 4WD. I just replaced all with Bilstein 5100 from Shock Surplus and the ride are day and night difference. I have more control on the curvy roads and firmer ride than stock.