2019 Shock BAD at 30kmi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Did an undercarriage inspection of our 2019 Expedition MAX with 30kmi today. Everything looked fine until I got to the front drivers side, noticed the front shock was caked and covered in oil from top to bottom. Couldn’t even see the label on the shock, touched it with my finger and got sludge. All the other shocks were squeaky clean. I’m going to notify the dealer tomorrow and hopefully get it replaced under warranty.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Seriously? Wow! This is my first Ford product…the Max is a beast but I’m a bit annoyed with some of the quality issues. Been in for rear end issues 2xs, Interior pieces falling apart, and now the shocks?

I’ve had Toyotas/Lexus up until now…still have a van with 221kmi…only thing other than routine maintenance I’ve needed replaced in 15 years subsequently a shock was seeping at 190kmi…the other 3 are still fine.

Not a lot of options out there for big families though.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I came from Lexus and Acura. The 2019 Expedition was my first Ford and it has been reliable except the cam phasers which were replaced under warranty. I also got the rear valve gaskets replaced at 47k miles due to oil leaks. The only issue I have with the Ford dealer is their seriousness in resolving the issues. I had to point out the problems or they couldn't duplicate and wasted a few days of my time. I still have a bunch of error codes in my Ford app and dealer said they are not stored anywhere. Luckily, my shocks aren't leaking yet and my Expedition has around 48k miles.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my Expedition used at a dealership. Wasn't very impressed with them to say the least. For my cam phasers I took it to another dealership (actually a closer one) and was super pleased. I told the service advisor I think my cam phasers needed replacement. He didn't BS me or ask where I heard it or anything. Looked at me and said "Makes a lot of racket when you start it up cold and goes away within 30 seconds?" I said "Yup" and he replied "Let's get you booked in." I felt quite taken care of there. Also happy that the parts desk made an easy no questions asked price match on my drivers window (That I was pissed got hit by a rock within two weeks of buying the Expedition) so I could get a decent price on it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seriously? Wow! This is my first Ford product…the Max is a beast but I’m a bit annoyed with some of the quality issues. Been in for rear end issues 2xs, Interior pieces falling apart, and now the shocks?

Ford's shocks/struts are trash. Honestly, their suspension components in general aren't great. I lost track of how many tie rods we replaced on our Vic. Numerous shocks blew on my Mountaineer before I went aftermarket. My mom's 2019 Explorer blew both rears in under 10k. And I blew 3 rears on my Expedition by ~100k or so before I replaced them with Bilsteins.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Give it time.... your cam phasers will self destruct too... ask me how i know.... this will be the last Ford I ever buy
Hey now Ford isn't the only one experiencing these problems and Don't think that one bad Ford means all Fords are bad. We have close to 90k miles on our F150 and it has caused us zero problems. We also had an Expedition to 140k miles and that had minimal problems also.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my Expedition used at a dealership. Wasn't very impressed with them to say the least. For my cam phasers I took it to another dealership (actually a closer one) and was super pleased. I told the service advisor I think my cam phasers needed replacement. He didn't BS me or ask where I heard it or anything. Looked at me and said "Makes a lot of racket when you start it up cold and goes away within 30 seconds?" I said "Yup" and he replied "Let's get you booked in." I felt quite taken care of there. Also happy that the parts desk made an easy no questions asked price match on my drivers window (That I was pissed got hit by a rock within two weeks of buying the Expedition) so I could get a decent price on it.
Now that's a good dealer. Finding a good dealer is a must these days.