2020 Expy Build-and-Price is live on Ford.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 XLT has this - it's the FordPass app and it allows lock/unlock, start, and lots of info like tire pressure, oil change left, VIN, etc. Can't remember which package provided this but it was available in all trim levels XLT and above.
The difference with the new "phone as fob" system is just that: the vehicle senses your phone just like a fob. You walk up to the vehicle with your phone in your pocket, touch the door handle, and you're in. It uses NFC I believe (same concept as the "tap to pay" card readers you see at the store). Tesla's do the same thing.

Your FordPass app, on the other hand, needs the internet; if you are in the middle of the wilderness with no cell signal it will not work.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My FordPass app allows me to lock/unlock and remotely start the vehicle too, but I cannot drive it. That is, once I enter the cabin, I need the keyfob to drive. Remote start is just remote start.

Personally I don't care much for the "summon" feature that Tesla has, but Lincoln has integrated the whole fob into your phone. That's one less thing to have to carry.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hadn’t noticed the Sync UI change, they are still calling it Sync 3.

Edit: Actually it looks the same to me, I don’t think there was a change.

This photo shows an update user interface, fonts, icons. Just wondering if it's a new Sync version.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-04-at-8-26-05-AM.jpg

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm personally liking the new 22" Wheels offered on the 2020 Platinum. Much better aesthetic choice than the uber-polished aluminums I have.

King Ranch has some nice touches too, although not my personal favorite.

I notice the Sync display has an updated interface. I wonder if this update will be trickled down to us as well?

I've also read that 2020 Navi offers tech that lets you unlock, start, and drive your vehicle with just your phone. Would be nice if they let us Ford folk have this option in the future too.

Where are you located? Want to swap wheels? I’ve got a 2020 on order and want the 2019 wheels. May have dealer order a set and then try and sell mine to another buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
The new 22" wheels are an improvement. I want the amenities and interior of the Platinum but I want the exterior of a white w/Stealth package. I don't love the all black interior on the Stealth and I want the noise cancellation, massage seats and adjustable suspension of the Platinum ... hmmmm

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Gordon, although this 'work-around' is ultimately a bad idea, I have hidden the fob in the car. So I can unlock with code or phone and hop in and just hit start and drive. Shut off, hop out and hit the 2 digits on the door to lock it.

I am FOREVER ruined now for key fobs and already hated having stuff in my pockets. This method is so much faster and convenient. Only thing I miss (besides my vehicle when it gets stolen because of this method) is not being able to pop open the hatch before I walk up with a cart of stuff to load.