2020 Expy Limited in-dash display??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's one heck of a laptop, you trying to run an Alienware gaming machine or something? I'd say around 75% of laptops these days use a 90W charger or possibly 110W, especially with so many starting to use USBC charging ports, the port itself can't handle much more than that. The dash is still better than many vehicles but I do agree that I wish it had more customization. I still don't understand why the center portion can't display more than one thing at a time, i.e. show me boost and fuel economy at the same time. There's plenty of screen space. Not that Ford every reads these or cares, but why couldn't they think of it like this. On most Android launchers, you have the ability to use widgets. And the widgets come in many different dimensions, so depending on the phone and screen, you can put multiple widgets on the screen, move them around to organize the screen, etc. Not hard to do!

I have two laptops that will not charge in my Expedition. I have a 17” MacBook Pro (95watts) and a 15” Alienware (90 watts).

My wife uses the Alienware for work and games. She will often do work while we drive. We were hoping the port in the second row would charge, or at least allow the battery to maintain the charge position. It doesn’t. It doesn’t even recognize that it is plugged in.

I rarely use my 17” MacBook since I upgraded, but wanted to test the various devices that I have.

At one point, I was going to look into what would need to be done to allow to a like-for-like swap to the F-150 inverter. I gave up as other priorities came up and it was a low priority mod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be curious too. In many cases the have a single wireset that is used across platforms, but doubling the output of the inverter should mean at least a 50% lower gauge wire for the source. You'd almost have to have an f150 right next to your expy, and check the thickness of the wires goin to the inverters. Guessing there's a fuse that would likely have to be swapped to.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate aftermarket, but I guess a 300W+ aftermarket inverter might be the best option.

OP
OP
N

Nalvenin

Reaction score
Not trying to be a smartass, but did you not test drive the vehicle? I can understand the limited power output for the DC/AC converter is not something you can easily test (the manual does state 180W), but if there’s something important to you, surely you’d test what it can and cannot do?

I did but did so with my family of wife and 3 kids... Guess i got caught up on the roominess(which we love) of the vehicle and being a tech guy, the other stuff hit me afterwards.. and yes, that was a smartass comment btw! Kinda telling someone the mistake they made after the fact, they know they made a mistake.. no need to rub it in!

OP
OP
N

Nalvenin

Reaction score
I'd be curious too. In many cases the have a single wireset that is used across platforms, but doubling the output of the inverter should mean at least a 50% lower gauge wire for the source. You'd almost have to have an f150 right next to your expy, and check the thickness of the wires goin to the inverters. Guessing there's a fuse that would likely have to be swapped to.

Thanks. I'll probably just end up wiring a new inverter under the center console for use. Thanks for the suggestion...

OP
OP
N

Nalvenin

Reaction score
I have two laptops that will not charge in my Expedition. I have a 17” MacBook Pro (95watts) and a 15” Alienware (90 watts).

My wife uses the Alienware for work and games. She will often do work while we drive. We were hoping the port in the second row would charge, or at least allow the battery to maintain the charge position. It doesn’t. It doesn’t even recognize that it is plugged in.

I rarely use my 17” MacBook since I upgraded, but wanted to test the various devices that I have.

At one point, I was going to look into what would need to be done to allow to a like-for-like swap to the F-150 inverter. I gave up as other priorities came up and it was a low priority mod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.. our laptops won't charge either... exactly my point! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deena