2020 is going to be interesting at Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone said they don't understand the animosity towards electric vehicles I don't understand the desire to have them either. I don't think most people really care as long as the vehicle that sits in the driveway works how they want it to it when they wanted to. I just have never actually liked batteries when there is a gasoline or fuel alternative because batteries still are way inferior to what they should or need to be.
Every battery I have ever owned might start out to give adequate results but it's not long until it's not nearly as good as it was when it was new. I'm talking about NiCds and NiMh and lithium ions, rechargeable tools, Etc.
I'm also not into the horsepower Wars nowadays with cars but a kind of analogy is that a car has three to four hundred horsepower and I'm only going to use 40 to 110. If a battery capacity was so much more than I need like this, like three to four times more than I would ever actually use, batteries would fulfill my needs no problems. But due to Battery Technology just not being where it should be in my opinion for a 2018 and the massive weight involved with large-capacity packs which goes back to technology, it's not feasible for a company teapot a giant battery into a car.
Just saying that if a DeWalt drill had a battery with the capacity of an 8D RV battery I would probably have no complaints with it being battery powered. It would however be quite a chore the hold that bad boy still as you start the screw. And if it had a cable coming from the giant battery pack or the one on your back it pretty much defeats the purpose of being battery powered in the first place.
So I guess I expect too much, but I think an average electric sedan car should be powered by something the size of your fist for at least 3 years ideally 10 plus. Maybe it's a battery, maybe a nuclear reactor, maybe some of that clean blue energy from the alien show.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ha ha. Nope! I'm an only child!!
What the hell is wrong with me???
I talk to myself if no one's around. I make up words and phrases, names, songs.
You know the Menards song? Don't know if they are in your area or not, but I added second line to that one and go around singing it everytime. I should write jingles.
"Menards has got my big ol money savings"!

I do The People's Court..... Da dum dum... Da dum dum dum... Da dum dum

All da dum time. It's ridiculous.

I know I have a problem... BUT....
I ramble so kick on Facebook that I think all but 3 "friends" have hid everything I post so they don't get annoyed at the length. When I post something only like 3 people like or comment. So about all of my interaction occurs from commenting on other's posts and the arguments that unsue from that... You know from stupid people who think they know everything that don't agree with me. Lol
I have so much fun. I boo. Abu. Like the monkey. Aladin. I smell fish!!
Tallyho mm Rumplestilskin, and Hakuna Matata.
Btw Long John Silvers has all you can eat fish on chicken on Sundays for like 7.99 or 8.99 sides too l. Unlimited.
"Your location participation may vary"

where in Ohio are you? I am in Columbus.

Talk about Menards, I grew up with them since they are a fine Wisconsin Company....

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble but electric vehicles are NOT the answer. Lithium Ion is only found in one part of the world, and we have gone through alot of it already, although i don't think Lithium Ion is the answer anyways, plus charging and discharging batteries are not efficient, actually way less efficient than a gas powered vehicle. And, our grid is not strong enough or powerful enough for the load of most or all electric vehicles. It will never happen! Lastly, where is the tax gonna come from once all the gas/diesel engines are gone? Remember there is state and federal tax in every gallon, some places over $.50/gallon, then what?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble but electric vehicles are NOT the answer. Lithium Ion is only found in one part of the world, and we have gone through alot of it already, although i don't think Lithium Ion is the answer anyways, plus charging and discharging batteries are not efficient, actually way less efficient than a gas powered vehicle. And, our grid is not strong enough or powerful enough for the load of most or all electric vehicles. It will never happen! Lastly, where is the tax gonna come from once all the gas/diesel engines are gone? Remember there is state and federal tax in every gallon, some places over $.50/gallon, then what?

That’s what I’m saying. The govt and oil/ energy companies dont plan on and aren’t going to miss out on trillions of dollars in revenue. People are high on something if they believe it’s that easy. Electric utilities would lobby for massive rate increases to cover the needed infrastructure changes and the govt will apply more taxes and fees on the bill to keep their energy tax revenues. Either that or they will tack it on as an extra road tax with registration.

There is no free lunch, you are paying for it somehow.....and in this case it’s your electric bill and associated fees. At the end of the day when all these batteries are plugged in your pulluting to make all that extra energy. Not to mention all the energy and pollution to make and dispose of them. Switching to electric isn’t feasible for consumers or the infrastructure until massive changes are made, and as you said lithium ion is a limited resource.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a big what if. What if someone or corporation finds a new safe way to produce electricity. And they discover a battery that's not lithium, more recyclable, like lead/acid. And on top of all that, make a vehicle that charges itself, sorta like house roof panels, but one that works even during darkness. A lot of what ifs. As far as gas tax, the feds will find another way. Just like the moffia, the cash never stops coming in. Can you imagine the DMV saying sorry no more car registrations, we've got enough, thank you. It's ironic how electric vehicles were a big part of automobiles at the turn of 20th century, and 119 years later, their trying again. Everything in life seems to come back around again.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s what I’m saying. The govt and oil/ energy companies dont plan on and aren’t going to miss out on trillions of dollars in revenue. People are high on something if they believe it’s that easy. Electric utilities would lobby for massive rate increases to cover the needed infrastructure changes and the govt will apply more taxes and fees on the bill to keep their energy tax revenues. Either that or they will tack it on as an extra road tax with registration.

There is no free lunch, and at the end of the day when all these batteries are plugged in your pulluting to make all that extra energy. Not to mention all the energy and pollution to make and dispose of them. Switching to electric isn’t feasible for consumers or the infrastructure until massive changes are made, and as you said lithium ion is a limited resource.

There could be a free or at least really cheap lunch but the govt and big business is used to...dependent on making the big money from the way things are.
This is the problem.
If you personally invent something in your garage that will power your whole house continuously on a pack of bologna for lets say 3 years a pack, you would be happy and enjoy the savings.
Better not tell anyone though for a number of reasons, but if the govt finds out or the industries, they will make a law limiting bologna purchases raise the price to 650.00 a pack. Or maybe do that just on "legal" fuel/energy bologna and due it blue and make it illegal to use regular bologna for any other purpose than eating. Sound familiar.

Not that I like or condone the use of, but same with fun things and recreational drugs and drug substitutes. Let someone find a way to get high on rope...yes hemp is rope isn't it, or bath salts, or mix two things together and maek your own lsd/*** whatever....you get my idea....then the govt makes it illegal.
If you want to snort some alka seltzer...go for it. The govt shouldn't have any say in it until you go out and chew off someone's face.

Notice every spray paint can (Pledge and other things too) has a label...

"It is a violation of FEDERAL law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling"
A Federal law??? Like a full auto trigger mod to a rifle federal offense???
Just becuse some kids sniffed glue and paint to get high.

Testors-- the original inhalant.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
where in Ohio are you? I am in Columbus.

Talk about Menards, I grew up with them since they are a fine Wisconsin Company....

A lot of people would say some choice things about the owner. Several environmental violations...but I don't care where pours is crap if my water heater is cheaper there. BUt I'm a baddd, baaad person. Or so I'm told.

Suburb of Dayton here. Born and raised in Kettering.
Bounce around local but never seemed to be able to move over 3-5 miles away.

johnmc

Reaction score
Haven't seen anything that I want to buy yet. Been looking since 2012 to replace my 2008 Expedition. First time that I have considered buying non Ford. They know the consumers want a normally aspirated V8 and don't want the engine dying at the stop sign. I also have a 2012 F150. They had better start producing what the people want or some really hard times may be ahead.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything that I want to buy yet. Been looking since 2012 to replace my 2008 Expedition. First time that I have considered buying non Ford. They know the consumers want a normally aspirated V8 and don't want the engine dying at the stop sign. I also have a 2012 F150. They had better start producing what the people want or some really hard times may be ahead.
Exactly! And what's this about them stop making sedans along with GM. They can all stick it. I don't know if they do any good market research at all and everything just like my earlier post about interior colors. They don't know nor do they care what people want. They let their design people and Engineers all do it and they know that we just have to buy whatever they make.
It's ridiculous! One of these days somebody will do something different. You know like Saturn with their slogan a different kind of company a different kind of car. I didn't really see it to be much difference but the slogan was cool.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Do you have citations for any of the above? Last I checked, nothing you said is true. Lithium reserves are nowhere near depleted; Charge discharge cycles are > 90% efficient, compared to 30 to 40% for ICE combustion, and the grid functions just fine since most charging takes place off peak. Fuel tax will transition to registration or mileage fee. Where did you get your information from?