2022 Check ELSD - Service Vehicle Soon?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wish the eLSD were an option on the F150.

I don't think I'm ever going to be in a situation where I actually need a rear locker but I could benefit from a Torsen LSD or an (actual) eLSD on a more frequent basis.
Agreed. I actually would like the ELSD option on the front. The problem is many more 150 owners use the truck for more serious low traction situations off road. That is where the ELSD will let you down. Since it is clutch based, it can over heat, hence this thread.

dnprall

Reaction score
We had ours to the dealer 4 times for this message. It doesn’t save in the computer after turning the truck off.

We have had a couple parts replaced (can’t remember exactly what they are at the moment). Per the dealer, Ford has no idea what is triggering the warning.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. I actually would like the ELSD option on the front. The problem is many more 150 owners use the truck for more serious low traction situations off road. That is where the ELSD will let you down. Since it is clutch based, it can over heat, hence this thread.
@LokiWolf , I just don't understand how mine could have overheated based on the conditions I explained in my original post. And don't I need to engage the button in the center console for eLSD to enable?
We had ours to the dealer 4 times for this message. It doesn’t save in the computer after turning the truck off.

We have had a couple parts replaced (can’t remember exactly what they are at the moment). Per the dealer, Ford has no idea what is triggering the warning.
@dnprall , thank you for sharing. Yes, I was going to update this chain to say the error message and wrench icon were gone the next time I ran the Expedition. I have only run it in 2WD since and shorter distances. Are you still getting the message even after parts replaced? I would be curious what got replaced, if you do come across your work orders.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No. ELSD if equipped is ALWAYS on. Even with Traction Control off, it is still active. There is NO way to turn it off from any button or setting at the drivers disposal. The button turns on "Lock", and I explained that above, that it is clutch based.

Also, AWD/4WD has nothing to do with the ELSD, as that is just the rear. Yes having 4WD/AWD active could prevent less use of the clutches in the ELSD in theory under slippery conditions, because the front wheels are now helping. Most likely not though, because the rears would most likely still be slipping side to side, which is why ELSD would get involved.

As far as the error. Just because you aren't sensing slip, doesn't mean there wasn't any. Actually it is a sign it was doing its job. Might have just gotten hot, and more likely in my opinion, it might have an issue.

dnprall

Reaction score
@LokiWolf , I just don't understand how mine could have overheated based on the conditions I explained in my original post. And don't I need to engage the button in the center console for eLSD to enable?

@dnprall , thank you for sharing. Yes, I was going to update this chain to say the error message and wrench icon were gone the next time I ran the Expedition. I have only run it in 2WD since and shorter distances. Are you still getting the message even after parts replaced? I would be curious what got replaced, if you do come across your work orders.
Yes we have had the error still. Most recently last month. Dealer looked at it earlier this month and that’s when they said Ford has no idea why the error pops up. I’ll try to remember to look for my work orders (apologies if what I do find isn’t detailed; I think there was a sensor that was replaced and something hydraulic but so far the entire diff has not been changed).

Real frustrating for the dealer because we can’t replicate it and 4A works just fine otherwise. So the dealer techs are frustrated (not at us) and Ford isn’t helpful at this point. We haven’t ever felt a performance issue when the error has been illuminated.

The first time it happened, the dealer looked it over and couldn’t find anything or any codes. My wife was on her way home after picking it up and the error showed up again. She didn’t turn off the truck, called the dealer, and went right back with the error present cause she didn’t turn off the truck. I don’t think the dealer was able to glean much even after returning with the error on.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you so much @dnprall for your thorough write-up. Sounds like you have associated the error with 4A mode - I was curious about that and have only run mine in 2H mode since the fault first came up. I'll experiment with mine more but am trying to learn as much as I can.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you so much @dnprall for your thorough write-up. Sounds like you have associated the error with 4A mode - I was curious about that and have only run mine in 2H mode since the fault first came up. I'll experiment with mine more but am trying to learn as much as I can.
Most likely it has ZERO to do with 4A. It does not change the behavior of the ELSD. If you are in 4A, you have engaged it because of 2 things, Sport mode, or bad weather conditions. Both are conditions where there is more likelihood of traction loss, hence the ELSD getting involved in the rear more. The more it is involved, the more likely to trigger the problem.

@dnprall What year is your Expedition?

Go drive around in 2WD and drive aggressively or on wet surfaces and see if you can trigger the error.

dnprall

Reaction score
Most likely it has ZERO to do with 4A. It does not change the behavior of the ELSD. If you are in 4A, you have engaged it because of 2 things, Sport mode, or bad weather conditions. Both are conditions where there is more likelihood of traction loss, hence the ELSD getting involved in the rear more. The more it is involved, the more likely to trigger the problem.

@dnprall What year is your Expedition?

Go drive around in 2WD and drive aggressively or on wet surfaces and see if you can trigger the error.
We have a 2021 XLT with FX4 and max towing.

We do seem to see the error in the winter. We live in Minnesota so most of the year we are in 4A. At the next snow fall, if the roads are slippery enough, I like the idea of aggressive driving in 2H to try to provoke the error.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. ELSD if equipped is ALWAYS on. Even with Traction Control off, it is still active. There is NO way to turn it off from any button or setting at the drivers disposal. The button turns on "Lock", and I explained that above, that it is clutch based.

Also, AWD/4WD has nothing to do with the ELSD, as that is just the rear. Yes having 4WD/AWD active could prevent less use of the clutches in the ELSD in theory under slippery conditions, because the front wheels are now helping. Most likely not though, because the rears would most likely still be slipping side to side, which is why ELSD would get involved.

As far as the error. Just because you aren't sensing slip, doesn't mean there wasn't any. Actually it is a sign it was doing its job. Might have just gotten hot, and more likely in my opinion, it might have an issue.
@LokiWolf, I apologize - I think I missed this response from you the first time around. Thank you for your explanation. Based on this, I'm guessing what I'm doing when I enable my center console button is forcing the clutches to engage full time (until they overheat). I agree with your assumption that something is actually wrong - I can't believe I overheated them in that short of time (and I wasn't driving hard, and roads were mostly wet, and I have brand new Nokian Hakkapaliitas so shouldn't have been slipping much). I don't know what to do next besides wait for it to happen again. Even then, I don't believe it retains the error code. I don't want to end up stranded before it can be addressed.