2022 Expedition - 2nd row climate control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenhp

Reaction score
Hey all,
Not getting a straight answer from the dealers and Ford.com has not been very helpful either. Does anyone know when the Ford Expedition build states -"2nd Row Climate Control - Removal" - Does that mean the vehicle still has multi zone climate control, but only the driver can change the rear temp? Or that there is only a single zone climate control for the whole car?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-140640_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-140640_Chrome.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 19

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That means they are removing the 2nd row climate controls (the knobs and buttons on the back of the central console). They are doing this due to lack of chips. You will still have 3 zone control through the front controls. Ford has not stated publicly if those controls will be added later for free at the dealer once the parts are in. They are doing that for the Explorer so one can hope the same here. Here is an article on it:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you also lose the ability to turn on the rear seat heaters, because that is not in the front controls at all.

OP
OP
G

greenhp

Reaction score
That means they are removing the 2nd row climate controls (the knobs and buttons on the back of the central console). They are doing this due to lack of chips. You will still have 3 zone control through the front controls. Ford has not stated publicly if those controls will be added later for free at the dealer once the parts are in. They are doing that for the Explorer so one can hope the same here. Here is an article on it:

Thanks for clarifying. I'm gonna have 2 car seats back there, so not too worried about the missing controls....As long as I can maintain the temp, it's all nice and dandy.

If they could now clarify on Ford.com, that would be so much easier.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you also lose the ability to turn on the rear seat heaters, because that is not in the front controls at all.
That is absolutely correct. You will lose heated seats in the second row and rear climate/radio controls. According to my dealer, the Expeditions WILL NOT be retro-fitted in the field if and when chips are available.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd wait for more info on this, the nav and the explorer both have the options to have climate controls added back at a future date.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like Ford is doing the right thing for the climate controls/heated seats and the module will be installed at a later date (12-18 months). Not good info on the multi-contour seats though for those with Platinums. From ice-capades on Blue Oval forums:

"While the automotive industry continues to be confronted by supply chain shortages, Ford is working diligently to ensure our vehicles are delivered to dealers and customers as quickly as possible. These shortages impact a wide variety of components used to manufacture our products. Therefore, Ford will be making the following product offering changes to the following Expedition vehicles in an effort to help customers receive their vehicles sooner. Your understanding and continued support are appreciated.

Ford has implemented a spec change at the Kentucky Truck Plant on impacted Expedition units. Beginning May production and after, all Expeditions, including retail, fleet and stock orders are being produced without the 2nd row climate controls and the 2nd row heated seat controls. Ford does plan to restore full functionality of the 2nd row climate controls and 2nd row heated seat controls for all Expedition customers.

All impacted Expeditions will have a matching color trim cover placed over where the 2nd row seats climate controls are designed to be installed
Every Expedition will retain the full functionality of 2nd row climate via controls located within the 1st row climate controls
Going forward, there will be a new option code created in WBDO (57C) that will automatically be added to new orders (The same 57C sales code applies to both the 2nd row climate control & 2nd row heated seats removal)
On Timberline 501A, Limited, King Ranch, & Platinum series, this action will also impact a customer’s ability to activate the 2nd row heated seats.

The second-row heated seat functionality will be unavailable for use until the 2nd row climate controls are installed
All Timberline 501A, Limited, King Ranch, & Platinum series will be built with the hardware to allow this functionality to be restored at a later date
Going forward, there will be a new option code created in WBDO (57C) that will automatically be added to new orders
In addition, all Expedition Platinum's, including retail, fleet and stock orders are being produced without the Multi-Contour Massaging Seats.

The Multi-Contour Massaging Seat functionality will be unavailable for use on impacted Expedition Platinum vehicles
There will not be a retrofit option available to restore this functionality on these units
Going forward, there will be a new option code created in WBDO (88R) for the MCS removal that will be required to be added to new Platinum orders for scheduling; in addition, Platinum orders in the unscheduled order bank must be amended by the dealer to include option 88R for scheduling.

Customers purchasing an Expedition without the 2nd row climate controls installed must sign a 2nd row climate control customer acknowledgement form.

Customers purchasing a Timberline 501A, Limited, or King Ranch Expedition without the 2nd row climate controls and the 2nd row heated seat control installed must sign the 2nd row climate control/2nd row heated seat control customer acknowledgement form.
Customers purchasing a Platinum Expedition without the 2nd row climate controls, 2nd row heated seat control, and the Multi-Contour Massaging Seats must sign the 2nd row climate control/2nd row heated seats control and the Multi-Contour Seat customer acknowledgment forms."

Link to all info:

@caplanm - looks like your dealer was incorrect, perhaps this info hadn't gotten to them yet

Last edited:

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all,
Not getting a straight answer from the dealers and Ford.com has not been very helpful either. Does anyone know when the Ford Expedition build states -"2nd Row Climate Control - Removal" - Does that mean the vehicle still has multi zone climate control, but only the driver can change the rear temp? Or that there is only a single zone climate control for the whole car?
Thanks!
Honestly, my 2019 has those controls and I wish I didn't. I have a kiddo that cranks it up to 78 and then his sibs are sweating. You can lock it out up front, which I have but if they weren't there it wouldn't be a bad thing. But bummer you aren't getting what your ordered.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At the top of my list of things I don't like about the expedition is the radio controls on the second row. I can't believe they didn't put in a way to disable that.

Most of the time we have the climate controls disabled for the second row, kids will turn the heat on in the summer or turn the ac on in the winter, or fight over what it is set at.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At the top of my list of things I don't like about the expedition is the radio controls on the second row. I can't believe they didn't put in a way to disable that.

Most of the time we have the climate controls disabled for the second row, kids will turn the heat on in the summer or turn the ac on in the winter, or fight over what it is set at.
I had a 2001 Excursion (wish I still had it) and it had a setting to disable the rear seat audio controls.