2022 Expedition vs 2018-20221

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I are currently in the market for a new Expedition. I was currently looking at Ford Expedition Platinum Max 2020 or 2021. I also went to Ford.com to get a quote on the 2022 Ford Expedition Platinum Max and the pricing is so close it seem like it would be a better buy to buy new vs used? Does anyone know if there is a difference in the 2021 vs 2022 besides the front face lift, inside dash update and blue cruise option.

StephenPT

Reaction score
Front and rear face lift and new dash. New model (Timberline).

Prices are close to new or even more than new on used ones you'll find on dealer lots because if you order new you'll be waiting awhile. If you can wait, go new. If not, then be prepared to pay a premium for a used vehicle that is sitting on a dealer's lot.

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen 2018-2020 Platinum Max and Limited with high miles like over 125,000 still going for $48,000 and as low as 10,000 miles going for mid $70,000 range. I am in no rush to pay these absorbent car prices.

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the help @StephenPT and @rpw2021 I will reach out to a family member that works at a local Ford dealership and see if I can use his X-Plan pricing on a new 2022 Platinum Max and Limited Max. I really like the Timberline but I need the extra room due to 3 kids and 2 dog.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would steer clear of anything with a motor built before June 2020. I believe this is the date Ford is claiming the cam phaser issue was resolved. I haven’t confirmed it yet, (still doing some digging) but evidently, they redesigned the camshaft bearing cap at the front—from a three bolt cap, to a four bolt cap. Their theory (based on extensive postmortem analyses of several “failed VCT engines”) was that the three bolt cap was not consistently sealing well and causing oil pressure/flow to be diverted which was robbing the downstream component of oil flow/pressure. The downstream component from that bearing cap is the VCT. (Cam phasers)

In order to make things “right” for the rest of us poor suckers, Ford would need to replace our heads. so yeah, that’s why this information is not readily available, and why Ford’s “fix”, for us, is merely a gimmick (PCM reprogramming :rotflmao:) to hide the larger issue until your vehicle is not covered by any warranty.

ygfvdrrtffy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help @StephenPT and @rpw2021 I will reach out to a family member that works at a local Ford dealership and see if I can use his X-Plan pricing on a new 2022 Platinum Max and Limited Max. I really like the Timberline but I need the extra room due to 3 kids and 2 dog.
IIRC, the dealer has D-plan, which is better than X-plan. Not sure if it is still a program or not?