2022 Owners Manual says use 87 Octane!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know this is 4th gen, but my 2015 manual says “Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended.” That same paragraph ends with “Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.” Pg. 186

Does the 18+ EB state 87 is the minimum recommended?
What Rob posted earlier in this thread is what the manual says.

Let me sum it up in one statement, "87 required, 91+ recommended."

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
That’s good to know then. I had been looking at 2018+, I’ll have to consider that before making the jump.

Pete Costanza

Reaction score
That’s good to know then. I had been looking at 2018+, I’ll have to consider that before making the jump.
Don’t let premium fuel be the deciding factor in getting an 18+ Expedition. We bought a 2020 new and it’s never seen anything but regular fuel and has never had an issue. I know when I lived in California, mid-grade was 10 cents more than regular, and premium was 20 cents more than regular. I now live in Tennessee where mid-grade is 30 cents more and premium is 60 cents more per gallon than regular. The cost is fairly significant over time at that differential. I’ll put it this way, knowing the Expy runs completely fine on regular, I’m not paying 60 cents more per gallon. If I still lived in CA and it was only 20 cents more, it would be worth it to me to at least experiment with it.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don’t let premium fuel be the deciding factor in getting an 18+ Expedition. We bought a 2020 new and it’s never seen anything but regular fuel and has never had an issue. I know when I lived in California, mid-grade was 10 cents more than regular, and premium was 20 cents more than regular. I now live in Tennessee where mid-grade is 30 cents more and premium is 60 cents more per gallon than regular. The cost is fairly significant over time at that differential. I’ll put it this way, knowing the Expy runs completely fine on regular, I’m not paying 60 cents more per gallon. If I still lived in CA and it was only 20 cents more, it would be worth it to me to at least experiment with it.
100% it is a financial decision for everybody. I want full rated power, and the best performance. I actually take it further, and our Expedition is tuned most of the time. Currently on E85, and spends about 9-10 months out of the year tuned on 93.

The clarity is what is Minimum vs Recommended. Minimum is 87, recommended is 91+. Those are the facts.

87 will do fine. Again, it is the minimum.