2024 Max Dog Barrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Montana-TN

Reaction score
Always had trouble finding a decent dog barrier on the market. Purchased a few versions from different well known manufactures, will not name brands because they are all junk.
I have a 130 lb puppy that loves to travel in the car to a point her level of excitement never diminishes. She is so happy she barks continuously during the entire trip. We are talking gun shot volume within a closed vehicle, one to twenty hours continuous. Its not a stress thing but a happy thing.... We don't like to drug her for the duration of our longer trips, Tennessee to Montana so I have no choice but to build a barrier that will muffle a greater percentage of the noise.
Thought I would share my creation just in case others may have similar problems or provide ideas for others relating to passenger compartment and cargo separation.
(Thin plywood exteriors with 2" foam core)
IMG_3077.JPGIMG_3078.JPGIMG_3081.JPG

chrjack1973

Reaction score
Thanks for this - I agree the existing dog barriers on the market aren't great

I have the same problem -- and have thought about doing the same thing -- but instead put cargo netting (which can be be ordered to a custom size) for moving trucks etc between the second and third row seats

I was thinking of attaching the netting via eye bolts

But question is where (and how) to safely and easily install eye bolts in the frame of the vehicle.

I have a 22 Expedition Max

Any thoughts/advice appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.17.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.17.57 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.20.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.20.58 PM.png
    333.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.17.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.17.22 PM.png
    633.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.18.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.18.21 PM.png
    660.4 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
M

Montana-TN

Reaction score
Sorry so long responding, strong attachment points are a problem. It was one of the many struggles I had designing my barrier. You can maybe see in the pics that I made brackets on each side to support the barrier and for the most part they are in a shear stress situation. Although they are bolted to the plastic interior side panels they seem to be working out well. I also designed the panel to fit snug up to the back of the second row seating to further support the barrier in case of an emergency stop situation so a 130 lbs. of bouncing joy doesn't end up in the front seats with us if such a situation occurs.
It broke my heart to drill into the side panels of my new truck but I installed "Riv-nut" threaded inserts that are basically not noticeable when the brackets are removed.
I certainly would not trust securing net attachment points to the plastic side panels, I believe you would be looking at major interior damage in an emergency stop situation.
Sorry I cant be of more help with what you are attempting to do, there is simply no structural points other than the factory tie-downs that would allow easy removal of a barrier system and retaining the use of third row seating when required.
Please post what you end up doing, I'm sure it will help others.