22 Timberline - Cascading Errors/Inoperable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Omodan

Reaction score
BLUF: Looking for ideas as to what may be the root cause of all the errors in hopes that i can get it running well enough to get home.

My family and I drove ~400 miles to Tennessee to visit family in our new 22 Timberline. After a couple days there, upon starting the truck, the AC shut off and numerous error messages began popping up on the instrumentation panel. The errors which presented in the FordPass Application are ‘Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power’, ‘Pre-Collision Assist Not Available’, ‘Park Aid Malfunction’, and ‘Blind Spot Detection with Cross Traffic’.

I put the vehicle in park and attempted to turn it off to essentially ‘reboot’ the truck. The dash and center screen all powered off but the engine kept running. After trying several items to try and get the engine to shut off, i ultimately disconnected the battery and then held down the push/start button until it eventually shut off. Afterwards, the vehicle will not start at all. It will turn on all of the screens but the engine will not crank.

It has now been towed to a local Ford Dealer in which i have been told that they will be unable to look at it for a few days. So i am essentially stuck in Tennessee and was supposed to return home/work today.

I doubt all of the components all just failed at once and am hopeful it could be something like a loose connector or bad battery. Unfortunately i wont know for a couple days and am not sure what to expect at this point. I attached a full list of all the errors that the dealer gave me when the vehicle was dropped off by the towing company.

Attachments

• 22 Timberline Errors.pdf
    152.1 KB · Views: 28

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, so sorry for that mess. Unless it was an electrical surge that took out everything I can't imagine that all of the components would simply fail.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "U" codes are for vehicle network (CAN bus) communication faults. Hopefully it's something central like a bad ground or short to ground/power that the tech can diagnose easily.

OP
OP
Omodan

Omodan

Reaction score
I couldn’t either. I am pretty sure it is predominantly an electrical issue. Some google research is pointing to a failed electrical relay.

It is just sitting on the dealer lot waiting on one of their service Techs to be freed up to look at it. They stated they have upwards of 60 other customer’s vehicles in line ahead of me. So I might snag a new battery and some fuses in order to test a few things on my own.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn’t either. I am pretty sure it is predominantly an electrical issue. Some google research is pointing to a failed electrical relay.

It is just sitting on the dealer lot waiting on one of their service Techs to be freed up to look at it. They stated they have upwards of 60 other customer’s vehicles in line ahead of me. So I might snag a new battery and some fuses in order to test a few things on my own.
Quality is Job 1! But seriously, so sorry, as others have said, hopefully something on the central bus or something central like a bcm or pcm. My guess is 99% of those faults are noise, just need to find the one responsible for it.

When I had to get my phasers done, there were 13 cars in line, and 3 being done at once. Just for the phasers.

OP
OP
Omodan

Omodan

Reaction score
@Omodan Fairway Ford, Evans GA?
Unfortunately no. The truck was supposed to be our family hauler for road trips, so we (2 Adults, 2 Kids, and 2 Dogs with luggage) are stuck in Tennessee (visiting parents).

Ford of Murfreesboro (Tennessee) is stating they cant diagnose it until Monday of next week (11 July), and Ford wont cover a rental car/loaner until the cause of the issue has been confirmed and determined that it is a manufacturing issue.

I have contacted Ford Corporate Customer Care and they should be reaching out to Ford of Murfreesboro this morning for further details. Hopefully something will come from that.

As it stands now, the truck has 3200 miles on it and is completely inoperable. They did attempt to hook a new battery to it and in doing so, the new battery was drained in under a minute and died again. It also threw a ton of new error codes. Their Techs stated they have no clue and need to contact Ford’s Engineers to diagnose. Unfortunately, they are also stating their Tech’s wont have time to do that until Monday due to other higher priority work. So i am basically on my own to get home unless something changes.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's terrible. Somehow those service managers need to reprioritize a little. Someone stranded hundreds or thousands of miles from home is a bit more of an inconvenience than a local that may already have a loaner/rental.

What's even worse, and something I would think Ford Customer Care would be concerned about, is that if you're anything like me, you'll never live this down. From now on, every trip you take in this vehicle, or maybe any Ford from here on out, you'll be worried about being stranded in a $65K+ vehicle. Practically every time I get in my rig, I wonder when my turbos will start rattling again, or when my phasers may need to be redone again like @Deadman had so many times.

Wish I could help you, if were near you I'd find a way to help.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's even worse, and something I would think Ford Customer Care would be concerned about, is that if you're anything like me, you'll never live this down. From now on, every trip you take in this vehicle, or maybe any Ford from here on out, you'll be worried about being stranded in a $65K+ vehicle.

I completely agree, but everything has changed in the last couple years. We've all come to expect a certain level of service that simply doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately, due to many events well outside our control. My fear is that it will only get worse before (and if) it gets any better.

OP
OP
Omodan

Omodan

Reaction score
I am still working with them trying to get some of their time to diagnose the issue and am hopeful they’ll look into it more before this weekend. I told them i have a hard stop this Saturday and need them to at least state whether its a Ford warranty issue or if they feel its my fault as that dictates whether Ford Corporate will help.

For them, whether it is a warranty issue or not is not cut and dry because i did attempt to install automatic running boards previously. I negotiated the purchase of automatic running boards as part of the vehicle’s purchase agreement from Loganville Ford in Georgia. Once the running boards came in, i picked them up and installed them myself following AMP Research’s installation instructions. Everything installed fine until i got to the final steps which require using a posi-tap connector to connect to two CAN BUS wires leading to the OBDII port. I connected them but it didn’t work. After calling AMP Research, they stated their running boards were for the 20-21 Expeditions but are not compatible with the 22. So afterwards, i disconnected the posi-tap connections, OBDII connector, and electrical/fuse connector to the power running board’s controller, but left the wiring harness in place. I was hoping to receive a work around from AMP Research so I didn’t pull the boards off yet. Disconnecting everything was over a month ago and it has been running fine until now.

The Tech’s impression is that using the Posi-Tap connections to the wires leading to the OBDII port caused all the glitches. That is based upon his initial visual inspection though. Afterwards, they installed a new battery, cleared the codes, and tried to start it which resulted in all of the issues listed in my previous post.

The above is why i need them to determine root cause before Ford is willing to accept this as a warranty issue. Until that happens, they wont step in to assist with a rental or additional support.