22's with Curb Rash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think "it's obvious" at all. 22's make it look like a soccer mom car, may as well drive a burb. And forget about any off road stuff, that would be ruinous to those rims. Wheel diameter creep has been happening for quite some time, but their true purpose was originally to provide stiffer sidewalls and so improve handling in sports cars. In the real world in a 4WD SUV, however, they're a triumph of style over function. Like tattoos, I just don't get them.

Luckily Ford, in the infinite wisdom, gave us different trims so you and I can each prefer the one we bought.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think "it's obvious" at all. 22's make it look like a soccer mom car, may as well drive a burb. And forget about any off road stuff, that would be ruinous to those rims. Wheel diameter creep has been happening for quite some time, but their true purpose was originally to provide stiffer sidewalls and so improve handling in sports cars. In the real world in a 4WD SUV, however, they're a triumph of style over function. Like tattoos, I just don't get them.

And this is what I was referring to...the smaller wheels don’t even fill the wells.

I 100% acknowledge the 22s are less practical. I was speaking from an aesthetics perspective.

e5fca0f37d69fcc05b43efcbbd3f67fd.jpg89d4f121a44139111aaae35087465ffa.jpg

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do we know if there is a difference in tire diameter between the 18", 20" and 22" wheels? If so, They would require different speedometer calibrations.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here’s the tire sizes. I highlighted the wheel sizes so it’s obvious which is which.

3a32703b1862aeb563d3aa4044b693fc.jpg

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And this is what I was referring to...the smaller wheels don’t even fill the wells.

I 100% acknowledge the 22s are less practical. I was speaking from an aesthetics perspective.

e5fca0f37d69fcc05b43efcbbd3f67fd.jpg89d4f121a44139111aaae35087465ffa.jpg

All this picture shows me is how Non-centered the rear tires are......

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
285/45R22 tires have a diameter of 32.1", a section width of 11.2", and a wheel diameter of 22".

275/65R18 tires have a diameter of 32.1", a section width of 10.8", and a wheel diameter of 18"

32.1” all around...

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I presumed, all wheel and tire combinations fill the wheel wells to the same degree. So, compared with 18" wheels, 22's cost more, increase ride harshness, are more vulnerable to damage and just about require CCD, further increasing cost. But they look cool to those who don't know better.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I presumed, all wheel and tire combinations fill the wheel wells to the same degree. So, compared with 18" wheels, 22's cost more, increase ride harshness, are more vulnerable to damage and just about require CCD, further increasing cost. But they look cool to those who don't know better.

Hey there, calm down, it’s ok.

Yes, the 22s are what is called a “luxury item” as are many things in the platinum trim. And you know what, as are many things in the Ltd trim. And the XLT. You want to tell me there is nothing on your trim level that adds complexity and cost but looks cool? Did they dye your cloth seats? Is there cloth on your seats at all? How about cushioning? Do you have steelies or alloy wheels? Does yours have bare steel bumpers or are they painted? Buttons on your steering wheel? Is there a radio in yours? Because all of those things (and about 100 more) certainly add cost and complexity for the sake of style and/or comfort.

You asked what the total wheel/tire diameters were. I suspect you asked because you looked at the two pictures I posted and said “gee, he’s right, they DO look different, I wonder if they actually are”. Things can be the same size and look different. Your tires curve more at the edge. And there’s more black which doesn’t offer a contrast as mine do. So the larger wheels appear as though they fill the well more.

But, as I said in a previous post...luckily Ford offers both sizes so we can both be happy. And I congratulate you on blowing the lid off the “large wheel conspiracy” and putting me in my place.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryin2fickshit