22's with Curb Rash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nc138

Reaction score
Having been driving in the NY area for years and owning two prior cars with low profile rims, I've seen my share of blow outs, bent rips and bubbles from potholes, curbs, etc. When I saw the 22's with the lip on the Stealth Edition in the showroom they looked great but knew it could be a problem. Even a small curb could chew into that lip, causing some nasty curb rash. Keeping that in mind however I clipped a curb with the passenger front tire making a left turn into a narrow driveway. With less than a 1000 miles on the truck it's disappointing, but I don't think there's much to do. My wife of course was happy it wasn't her as her record isn't the greatest so I can't be too upset if something happens in the future.

Depending on how the wheels hold up for the next 25K to 30K miles, when it's time to change tires, I would consider going to different rims maybe 20's to get tires with more side wall. Not sure how that will impact the CCD suspension.

BTW you think that tire is still OK to run, the gash doesn't seem that deep.

2019 Expedition Max Limited 303a - White Platinum Metallic (no curb rash in this pic)
Curb Rash - 1 (1).jpg

Curb Rash - 2.jpg Curb Rash - 1.jpg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a similar gash in the tire although mine is larger (wider but looks to be about as deep). Agree it’s frustrating. The tire should be fine. As far as the wheels go, many tire/wheel shops can fix curb rash for $100-$200 bucks although I’m not sure how well it works (I’ve heard good things).

As far as the safety of the tire, however, don’t take the word of some yahoo on the Internet, just pop into a tire store and have them take a look (as I did) and get some piece of mind about it.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree that the rim repair guys would be able to repair those rims if you decide to go that route. I had the same dilemma when I bought my Limited 302A with 22's. The roads in my area aren't the best, so I had the dealer swap for the Limited 20's and have been pleased. The CCD combined with the larger sidewalls gives a comfortable ride. I have accidentally rubbed a few curbs as well, but the tires stick out far enough past the rim, that it never rubbed the rim. Here are a couple photos that show the sidewall bulge that protects the rims from curb rash. This is with 40psi in the tires.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

OP
OP
nc138

nc138

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’ll see how it goes through the winter. If no other issues maybe I’ll go for a repair. I really like the idea of the 20’s, just a lot easier to manage.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stuck with 18" wheels, which makes it hard to scrape your wheels and obviates the need for CCD . For the life of me I can't understand the 22's. Looks like a poorly thought out fashion statement to me. I mean, it's not a race car.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having been driving in the NY area for years and owning two prior cars with low profile rims, I've seen my share of blow outs, bent rips and bubbles from potholes, curbs, etc. When I saw the 22's with the lip on the Stealth Edition in the showroom they looked great but knew it could be a problem. Even a small curb could chew into that lip, causing some nasty curb rash. Keeping that in mind however I clipped a curb with the passenger front tire making a left turn into a narrow driveway. With less than a 1000 miles on the truck it's disappointing, but I don't think there's much to do. My wife of course was happy it wasn't her as her record isn't the greatest so I can't be too upset if something happens in the future.

Depending on how the wheels hold up for the next 25K to 30K miles, when it's time to change tires, I would consider going to different rims maybe 20's to get tires with more side wall. Not sure how that will impact the CCD suspension.

BTW you think that tire is still OK to run, the gash doesn't seem that deep.

2019 Expedition Max Limited 303a - White Platinum Metallic (no curb rash in this pic)
View attachment 31214

View attachment 31212 View attachment 31213
I feel your pain, I introduced my front right wheel to a curb after two months of ownership... at the airport picking up my mother in law. It hurt. I’ll do the repair maybe next year just in case I have another curb bump.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could play it safe and move that tire to the rear or swap it with the spare, assuming you have a full size spare. I'd hate to have a front tire blowout @70mph.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stuck with 18" wheels, which makes it hard to scrape your wheels...
This! The diameter of my tires is 32.9". Minus the 18" diameter of the wheels, divided by two (top and bottom) gives me ~7.5" of sidewall. If I want any curb rash, I'm going to have to get out and air down my tires...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stuck with 18" wheels, which makes it hard to scrape your wheels and obviates the need for CCD . For the life of me I can't understand the 22's. Looks like a poorly thought out fashion statement to me. I mean, it's not a race car.

Accurate. They look amazing, that’s why they’re on there. As can be said for a lot of the stuff on the platinum trim...which is why I paid up for it.

It’s pretty obvious from the size of the wheel wells, the vehicle was designed for 22s. The smaller stock wheels makes the vehicle look like a buffalo on roller skates.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Accurate. They look amazing, that’s why they’re on there. As can be said for a lot of the stuff on the platinum trim...which is why I paid up for it.

It’s pretty obvious from the size of the wheel wells, the vehicle was designed for 22s. The smaller stock wheels makes the vehicle look like a buffalo on roller skates.

I don't think "it's obvious" at all. 22's make it look like a soccer mom car, may as well drive a burb. And forget about any off road stuff, that would be ruinous to those rims. Wheel diameter creep has been happening for quite some time, but their true purpose was originally to provide stiffer sidewalls and so improve handling in sports cars. In the real world in a 4WD SUV, however, they're a triumph of style over function. Like tattoos, I just don't get them.