25% over MSRP? Better off doing factory order?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luftcooled

Reaction score
So I am looking for a Limited with the 304A package. There are a number within a 1-2hr drive but they are all pretty high over MSRP, as in 25% higher. I didnt attempt to negotiate. Is this pretty normal these days? Maybe Im naive but I dont see this being a car worth 115k.

Second question. Do you pay MSRP when you place a factory order with Ford? If I go to a dealer are they just going to mark up the factory order as well?

Curious what everyone would advise. There are about 10 timberlines in my area, so maybe less markup.

(I tried searching the forum but so much fail)

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only one dealership was offering MSRP for Expeditions on the lot. All other dealerships in the WashingtonDC are were between $6-10K over MSRP for dealer ordered models. Customer ordered models are not affected by the uplift from what I was told by a number of sales people I spoke to when looking for mine.

twinturbodude7

Reaction score
So I am looking for a Limited with the 304A package. There are a number within a 1-2hr drive but they are all pretty high over MSRP, as in 25% higher. I didnt attempt to negotiate. Is this pretty normal these days? Maybe Im naive but I dont see this being a car worth 115k.

Second question. Do you pay MSRP when you place a factory order with Ford? If I go to a dealer are they just going to mark up the factory order as well?

Curious what everyone would advise. There are about 10 timberlines in my area, so maybe less markup.

(I tried searching the forum but so much fail)
It's definitely not worth anywhere near $115k, IMHO.

It's been a crazy journey, but we are getting ours at 3% under invoice.

kjtully

Reaction score
What you pay is separate from placing a factory order through a dealer (all orders have to go through a dealer as Ford doesn't sell direct to the public). For example, through my employer's partnership with Ford I get to pay the X-Plan price. You can also get the X-Plan price if you own a minimum of 100 shares of Ford stock for the past 6 months (current stock price is $13.54 so that would be an investment of $1,354 to get a $4K discount on a Platinum Max, and you can sell that stock after your purchase). Now, the dealer could also tack on some uplift if they wanted. The trick would be to negotiate the price when you place the order and get it in writing. That way you'll know of any uplift and can decide to place the order with that dealer or dealer-shop for one that will honor the MSRP. There are some slimy dealers that will agree to MSRP then when the vehicle comes in they decide to tack on the uplift (hence the need to get it in writing). I've even seen some dealers advertise significant discounts on some (saw them on KBB.com). So you may find what you're looking for at a good/acceptable price by looking farther from home.

OP
OP
L

Luftcooled

Reaction score
Now, the dealer could also tack on some uplift if they wanted. The trick would be to negotiate the price when you place the order and get it in writing.
I just talked to one dealer, he said to try back in August for a factory order. Not sure if this is regional or per dealership. I read a number of threads saying there was an order bank open as of a few weeks ago. The only Expedition they have is a new 2021 with 4 miles on it, not at all what Im looking for but hmm. I guess that answers the factory order questions for now.

I am going to ask about the timberlines.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried Chapman in Horsham, PA? I didn't have a great experience buying a CPO from them, but several people here bought new below MSRP in recent months.

Last edited:

rpw2021

Reaction score
I just talked to one dealer, he said to try back in August for a factory order. Not sure if this is regional or per dealership. I read a number of threads saying there was an order bank open as of a few weeks ago. The only Expedition they have is a new 2021 with 4 miles on it, not at all what Im looking for but hmm. I guess that answers the factory order questions for now.

I am going to ask about the timberlines.

The order bank is closed right now. Orders will open for the '23s sometime this summer. Some say June, others say August. But even then I would assume at least 10 months to get the car. By most accounts, the supply chain and operations issues (especially at Ford but also GM) are going to get worse over the next 12 months.

Another problem with doing a '23 order is that there are features being removed from the cars, especially on the higher trims. Rear climate controls, massage seats, park assist, rear heated seats, power folding seats, etc. Anything with a microprocessor and switch they think they can delete without impacting the viability of sales very much is being removed from the cars, as far as I can tell. There are going to be some odd cars out in the wilds on the next few years.

There aren't any good options. Paying the crazy dealer markup is just lost money - that markup won't be reflected in the resale or residual value, of course. It's just the dealer pocketing cash at the expense of customers. But the '23 special order is going to be a long frustrating wait, and the car may not have all the advertised features. Basically you have to choose your pain if you want one of these cars.

I'm told that BMW, Subaru, and Tesla are doing things well. Costs are higher than normal, but they can deliver and build cars - which Ford and GM simply cannot do right now. But if you want a large SUV or truck, you're stuck.

OP
OP
L

Luftcooled

Reaction score
great update. Sorry if this was in the 'order' threads already, they are a bit confusing. Based on talking to dealers all day I am just going to rent a car for vacation and see what happens in the next 5 months. Further, I am going to do a bunch or repairs on an old ecoboost and keep that thing running.

Also,posting update for anyone who stumbles across this. Two nearby timberlines are going for MSRP. Found a local dealer said he thinks he can order come July, they were offering zero additional markup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE