2nd alt 12v hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK my electrical gurus...I have a 2nd alt for install in addition to what's already on the truck...this is to run my stereo system...right now it's setup to run accessories so I need a good 12v source to connect to besides the battery...any ideas? It has a small yellow wire for the source but I don't know what will be the best place to hook up to...I will be adding 2 runs off 1/0 ga to battery which is why I specified not to battery...

Mr. 10K

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like you want to connect a distribution block to the battery then branch the various circuits off of that.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No...I'm wanting to give the alt a 12v source besides the battery...wire needs 12v ignition source...unless you're saying take it to the battery? It's to run accessories which are my amps

791e67e6800919f28d2f3b80d79cac3a.jpg

Mr. 10K

dfk70

Reaction score
I don't think that you want to run equipment directly from the alternator. Too many fluctuations in output. Better to run off a battery that the alternator charges.

Or maybe I'm not understanding the question. :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will be ran off a secondary battery...but the alt needs power to maintain battery voltage so it needs to turn on...when it turns on it will charge the secondary alt which will provide the power for my amps

Mr. 10K

dfk70

Reaction score
Probably have to find a switched 12V under the hood. Sorry I can't help more.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The voltage regulator inside your 2nd alternator must be connected to the battery or battery bank you will run the amps off of. This way the vr will know when to turn on and charge the battery(s).

All you need to do is wire just like primary alternator but using separate circuitry. The only common connection will be the ground unless you want to run an isolated ground which will be a little more involved, but can be done.

What is the 2nd alt rating? What is the total wattage of the amps?

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Stamp there's so much work involved with adding a second pulley driven component. Find a spot for it along the belt, make a bracket to hold it in place while maintaing proper alignment. Then wiring the entire new system in series with the existing alternator. There is higher amprage alternators on the market, one of the 2nd gen expy's at my company has a 200A alternator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360