2V or 3V

Which do you all prefer the 5.4 2V or 3V?

• 5.4 2V

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • 5.4 3V

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had both. Just sold my '97 that I put 210K on and have a 48K, '05 3 valve now. My '97 never blew out plugs 'cause I did them myself. The '05 gets better mileage and lots more power (70 HP more). '97 had more ground clearance and towed better with the solid rear and LSD. The '05 handles and rides better with the IRS, but no LSD. Both are 3.73's. IMHO, styling of '97 more round, curvy and feminine. Melted bar of soap design of the times. '05 looks more masculine to me.
Too early to tell, but so far I've had better 4 wheel drive experience with the '97, never having a scary moment like my '05. Probably due to lack of LSD and less ground clearance. And also because the '05 came with two crappy sets of winter and summer tires compared to the year round Revos I always ran on the '97. Even though they are both XLT's, the '05 lacks the cubbyholes, amount of cup holders and sunglass holders of the '97. But, you can't beat the '05's fold down 3rd seat and more, up to date electronics. I only hope the '05 can measure up and better the '97 for reliability and longevity. I don't look forward to the spark plug job.:drool:
'Hope this helps you decide.

OP
OP
robl110

robl110

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had both. Just sold my '97 that I put 210K on and have a 48K, '05 3 valve now. My '97 never blew out plugs 'cause I did them myself. The '05 gets better mileage and lots more power (70 HP more). '97 had more ground clearance and towed better with the solid rear and LSD. The '05 handles and rides better with the IRS, but no LSD. Both are 3.73's. IMHO, styling of '97 more round, curvy and feminine. Melted bar of soap design of the times. '05 looks more masculine to me.
Too early to tell, but so far I've had better 4 wheel drive experience with the '97, never having a scary moment like my '05. Probably due to lack of LSD and less ground clearance. And also because the '05 came with two crappy sets of winter and summer tires compared to the year round Revos I always ran on the '97. Even though they are both XLT's, the '05 lacks the cubbyholes, amount of cup holders and sunglass holders of the '97. But, you can't beat the '05's fold down 3rd seat and more, up to date electronics. I only hope the '05 can measure up and better the '97 for reliability and longevity. I don't look forward to the spark plug job.:drool:
'Hope this helps you decide.

Thanks. I like hearing about Expeditions that made it above 200k miles since we are looking at ones with 80-110K.

wyo_vr4

Reaction score
Either the 2V or 3V sound nice to me since my Navigator's 4V requires premium gas. I used to own a Lincoln Mark LT with the 3V. I really miss that truck but I don't miss having a car payment.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Thanks. I like hearing about Expeditions that made it above 200k miles since we are looking at ones with 80-110K."

Anytime, robl110

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like a 2 valve 2nd gen. Lots more speed equipment for 2V's, but it would be nice to have a supercharger available for the 3V. I know they have a few, Edelbrock, Rousch and Whipple, for 3V, 4.6 Mustang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr