3.31 vs 3.73 gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I was planning on driving this in town like the original poster said he was, I would absolutely NOT want 3.31 gears. The 3.73's will strain everything less and often be more efficient in town as you accelerate numerous times.
The "wear and tear" effect is so negligible it's not even worth considering...we're not comparing a 3.3 to a 4.8 here.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "wear and tear" effect is so negligible it's not even worth considering...we're not comparing a 3.3 to a 4.8 here.

You are pretty good at justifying your gearing. If it wasn't inferior gearing, I could understand, but its highway gears that you are pushing onto guys with 6,000 lbs vehicles. I personally think a big vehicle should have appropriate gears, not grampa's highway cruising gears. Again my opinion, but there's a reason they offer the 3.73's as a tow pack and the 3.31's as standard. They need the 3.31's as a standard gear to meet their EPA ratings on the highway. Then they offer the 3.73's for the people that don't want EPA gears! Just sayin.......

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are pretty good at justifying your gearing. If it wasn't inferior gearing, I could understand, but its highway gears that you are pushing onto guys with 6,000 lbs vehicles. I personally think a big vehicle should have appropriate gears, not grampa's highway cruising gears. Again my opinion, but there's a reason they offer the 3.73's as a tow pack and the 3.31's as standard. They need the 3.31's as a standard gear to meet their EPA ratings on the highway. Then they offer the 3.73's for the people that don't want EPA gears! Just sayin.......
I'm not suggesting the 3.31 is better than the 3.73. Just that for my application, the upgrade didn't justify the price increase. If it was a no-cost option, I'd have taken the 3.73.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In 2018 Ford made it very difficult to get a tow pack option on an Expedition. I'm assuming they did this on purpose so their average milage was higher and they could brag about their new design, new transmission, etc with good milage.
I looked for over a Month to find a 302A with tow pack in white!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Exactly why I bought a Ford with 3.73's! I wanted a GMC with 6.2L and when I found out it came with a 3.42 I walked away. GM uses horrible gearing and horrible transmission settings to achieve better milage while using ancient power plants! It works, but I wasn't about to buy ancient technology.
I've had many 1/2 ton trucks with 3.73's and my Buddys have had the same exact trucks with 3.55's in them and the 3.55 trucks were noticeably sluggish in comparison. The worst thing was on EVERY significant hill to climb, then the 3.55 truck needed to downshift. I'm sure the 3.31 Expeditions downshift a lot more often than the 3.73 trucks. My neighbor has a 1/2 ton with the 3.5L EB and 10 speed and he isn't sure on his gearing but there is one large hill by our house and his truck needs to shift down into 8th gear with the cruise set at 60mph, mine climbs this same hill in 9th! Just the differences gears make.......

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I simply posted the GM ratios to give a point of reference and to show that the 3.31 is a perfectly normal and acceptable ratio.

If you’ll look back at my first reply on this thread, I gave my reasons for not buying the tow pack and then told the OP to stick with the wonderful chart 16plati posted and buy whatever he felt compelled to buy.

But then (as is always the case) folks jump up and start explaining all the reasons the 3.31 is trash and a complete mistake to purchase.

But see...it’s not.

Maybe the 3.73 is better in some (most?) applications. But for many many people, myself included, the 3.31 is just fine. So just as you accuse me of “pushing” the 3.31, you make it seem like the 3.73 is the only acceptable choice and a vehicle with a 3.31 would have trouble making it through an intersection before the light turns red.

I’m glad you like your 3.73. I like my 3.31. I’m sure the OP will like whatever he buys and once he does, won’t ever remember that he even considered the alternative.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The MPG difference will primarily be on the highway. In town there will be little difference. The vehicle is more likely to bog down with the 3.31. In addiiton, the 3.31 axle may downshift more to get additional power. So, the 3.31 axle could increase transmission wear slightly.

Ford's desire is to sell more 3.31 axle vehicles. They get slightly higher EPA MPG ratings with the 3.31. As long as they sell only a small portion of 3.73 axle ratio vehicles, I believe they do not have to factor it into the EPA ratings. Remember, Ford cares about .1 or .2 MPG increase. In real life, I think you will spend very little more for fuel with the 3.73 axle ratio. The difference will primarily be on the highway since the engine will be turning slightly faster. How much more fuel will you use if your average MPG goes form 17 to 16.8?

All Navigators have the 3.73 axle ratio. I am not sure the Navigator is a valid comparison since it is more powerful and a little heavier. The Navigator gets 1 MPG less than the Expedition according to the EPA. I doubt the axle ratio will make up more than 20% of that difference.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I was planning on driving this in town like the original poster said he was, I would absolutely NOT want 3.31 gears. The 3.73's will strain everything less and often be more efficient in town as you accelerate numerous times.

Nope, not even close. Ten speed transmission makes the 3.73 diff irrelevant. I'm at 22.5 mpg this tank. Awesome.

Last edited: