3.31 vs 3.73 gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjf1

Reaction score
Do you know some models just come with 3.73 axle. Example the Max option without trailer tow package.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know some models just come with 3.73 axle. Example the Max option without trailer tow package.

Max does not come with trailer tow or 3.73 standard. You need to option the trailer tow package to get the 3.73. Some other packages for 2019 bundle a couple things and one might be the tow pack and gears..... I'm not 100% certain on all the 19's.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all, new member here. The expedition is my first rear wheel drive vehicle.

My main reason behind getting the 3.73 was the limited slip function. I guess the lower ratios don’t have it.

I drove an older non limited slip expedition in the rain and with any heavy throttle application it would spin one rear tire. Didn't feel safe at all!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new member here. The expedition is my first rear wheel drive vehicle.

My main reason behind getting the 3.73 was the limited slip function. I guess the lower ratios don’t have it.

I drove an older non limited slip expedition in the rain and with any heavy throttle application it would spin one rear tire. Didn't feel safe at all!

It would have to be pretty old (before advancetrac) to just let a tire spin with no intervention from the computer. I run in 4A anyway if roads are soaked or snowy never have had problems with traction.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would have to be pretty old (before advancetrac) to just let a tire spin with no intervention from the computer. I run in 4A anyway if roads are soaked or snowy never have had problems with traction.

It was a 2016 ecoboost rental vehicle. I was surprised too!

emil_greus

Reaction score
I drive an Expedition XLT MAX 2WD, Export Version - as I seen the options are quite different comparing with the US market ones.
For example the 201A package is available but with different options comparing with the ones on the ford.com, there are also some skid plates that suppose to be installed on FX4 version, etc.

I am wondering if the gear ration is 3.31 or 3.73. Is any label available on the car body? or any idea how i can find out? (of course i can ask the Ford agent, but not at hand now :) )

Later edit: on door stiker, under "Axle" is mentioned "15"

Last edited:

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
Most likely 3.31 unless you opted for the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package. Also check the Truck Safety Compliance Certification Label - should be on the left front door lock or the door latch post pillar. Just below the bar code, you should see the word AXLE and a two-digit code (code 10=Non-Limited slip diff with a 3.15 gear ratio, code 15= Non-Limited slip with a 3.31 gear ratio, code=3L indicates a limited slip diff with a 3.73 gear ratio)