3.31 vs 3.73 gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting the 3.31 is better than the 3.73. Just that for my application, the upgrade didn't justify the price increase. If it was a no-cost option, I'd have taken the 3.73.

Not me. Inefficiency is never a bargain.

Plati

Reaction score
Sounds like the Yammy 100 I had when I was a kid. If I wanted more power/acceleration at low speeds but less top end (less power / higher rpm at higher speeds) I would put a bigger diameter sprocket on the back. Smaller sprocket the opposite. One isn't better or more efficient unless you tie it to driving style?

I do a lot of interstate with my 2014EL … might be better off (gas mileage) with 3.11
but I'm still glad I got the tow package and 3.73. That's probably a plus in the mtns.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But what type of driving is that? Probably mostly highway???

Mixed City/Highway. Highway is more like 25 MPG. I've seen 27.8 MPG driving pure highway, level ground:

IMG_20190327_135302[1].jpg

No, 3.73 gears isn't an advantage in the mountains. The difference in rear differential ratios is way less than the spread in transmission gear ratios. Dropping one gear is easy.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In 2018 Ford made it very difficult to get a tow pack option on an Expedition. I'm assuming they did this on purpose so their average milage was higher and they could brag about their new design, new transmission, etc with good milage.
I looked for over a Month to find a 302A with tow pack in white!
I believe the lack of tow option was actually a shortage in the gearing which caused a shortage for both with and without tow package if you wanted the 3.73. It happened in early January of 2018. I know this because I narrowly missed this issue because mine was built on 12-22-17. This was an issue that was covered pretty well on the blue oval forum by several employees. Or it could be a big coverup which could play into your theory.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mixed City/Highway. Highway is more like 25 MPG. I've seen 27.8 MPG driving pure highway, level ground:

View attachment 30622

No, 3.73 gears isn't an advantage in the mountains. The difference in rear differential ratios is way less than the spread in transmission gear ratios. Dropping one gear is easy.
Well not trying to start drama but all you did here was reset your mpg reading, get on the highway, set CC to 60, and you drove for 11.4 miles until the mpg gauge topped out. I can do that with my 16 on 35s tuned and get 2mpg better with a truck that’s almost 1000l s heavier
B2BE50FF-5824-40FB-89C0-A329A57395D3.jpeg

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 30622

You can’t claim you get 27mpg just because you drive 11.4 miles. That tank you just filled up with 50/50 city highway will probably net you 21mpg

Plati

Reaction score
.....No, 3.73 gears isn't an advantage in the mountains. The difference in rear differential ratios is way less than the spread in transmission gear ratios. Dropping one gear is easy.
Again … what aspect of driving style and machine operation to make that statement?
You will have more power/acceleration with higher gear ratio, for a given gear
Compare apples to apples … (same gear not a different gear)

I don't buy the MPG figures either!
I got 200 MPG once rolling downhill

mikeyanxu

Reaction score
There are definitely a lot of opinions on options and trims.
Just pick the options for what you intent to use the vehicle for.
If you tow, pick the tow package.
If not, then don't.
Each option has its own pros and cons. There is no one fits all.

I bought the max xlt trim without the tow package.
It is for my wife as a upgrade from the minivan. With two kids in the back, she should't have to mess with 4H, 4L, locking rear diff, etc. If she did, she probably forget and drive with the locker on.

In the weekends, I drive it most to of the time during family trips to the beach and mountains. We don't tow anything. The 3.31 works fine for what we use it for.

I am shopping for a F150 for myself. It will be a 3.5 EB with 3.55 and tow package. Cause I need it.

Number wise:
  • The 1 mpg difference is 5% on a 20 MPG base number.
  • $1500 will double in 9 years at 4% if no market crash.
  • It is about 1500-2000 RPM during highway cruising when I was driving with the 3.31 gear ratio.
  • Ford should have 3.55 in expy for ppl not sure.
Let us know what you pick in the end. Good luck.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ran my 3.73 4x4 60 miles on the highway. I drove it 62mph and I drove it very easy, no hammering it, easy take offs, etc just to see how much MPG I could squeak out of it. It averaged 27.4MPG on this 60 mile trip. It was almost all highway, but I had numerous roads I stopped at and accelerated gently. My point is, even a 3.73 can do great milage if the driver can keep their foot out of the pedal!

I don't always drive mine like this, but I wanted to test it!