3.5 EB probs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rslynes

Reaction score
Only 'engine' problem I've had with my '17 3.5EB was a leaky vacuum pump gasket around the 130K mark (not severe, but dripped occasionally). Replaced both the pump and gasket just to be safe as it's kind of a bear to get to.

Use full synthetic oil for every change (~4,500-5,000 mile interval). Changed plugs at ~115K. Did 'mist' clean on fuel system at same time as plug replacement. Gained about 2 MPG in doing so.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We currently have a 2011 Gen3 LTD with 5.4 3 Valve and HD Tow with 62K miles and a 2017 Gen3 LTD with 3.5 TT V6 and HD Tow with 45K miles. We had a 2014 5.4 3 Valve (same specs as the 11).

We change the oil / filter and rotate tires on both trucks every 4000 miles using only Mobil 1 Synthetic.

On the 11, we have changed brakes, rotors and shocks as maintenance items. We have also changed all of the HVAC actuator motors (dreaded clicking) as well as the brake ABS controller to correct pulling to right under very hard / emergency braking. Other than that, it has been a trouble free truck with no engine / transmission problems.

On the 17, we have had an ongoing issue with rear hatch window leaking when going through high pressure water such as a car wash, after 3 try's by dealer, it is much better but not completely corrected. We also had the brake master cylinder replaced due to failure (common problem on 17s). These were both handled under warranty.

We tow long distances (900 to 1300 miles) with the 17, pulling an open car trailer weighing either 6300lb or 4900lb, depending on the vehicle. We have had no engine or transmission issues to date and can say it is a pleasure towing with this truck compared to the 5.4 because of the increased HP and torque.

Last edited:

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay well I guess I follow-up question to that would be, do you have any idea how much it would cost for the intake cleaning while doing a timing chain? I asked this because I just recently watched
FordTechMakuloco video comparing a first Gen to a second Gen Ecoboost and the differences were amazing. He also suggested cleaning those intakes around a 100,000 miles.
FordTechMakuloco did my timing chain, valve cleaning, spark plugs, and front & rear differential fluid. Total was approximately $4100. He charges a bit less for the valve cleaning because he got the engine broken down for the timing chain replacement.

I apologize g Ft or not remembering the exact price for each service provided. Currently on a work trip. Truck is Amy company’s parking lot. Receipt for services provided are in the glove compartment.

Seems expensive, but much cheaper than a new vehicle.