3 rows and 2-10's in the trunk, how's it work??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran a small box w/2-10's to the trunk. With the 3rd row in the box just clears enough for the hatch to close. Closed, the speakers in the box are on a angle and with the hatch closed they are maybe 3 inch space. The box just makes it!

Is this what ppl do? Is there another type of box ppl use to do this?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty much did the same as you but went with 4 10's in the back.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to have a similar set up.
I had a pick-up style box with two 12" subs behind the third row seat facing with the subs firing towards the back.

It worked just fine, but I hated giving up that cargo space and it made it impossible to remove the third row. Plus, I thought the install wasn't very aesthetically pleasing.

I ended up custom fiberglassing a steathbox box for the cargo pocket in the back to fit a single 10".

Here is a pick of the older set-up, though:

IMG_1486ii.jpg

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice job remo...

Ok so heres what i did...

I had the box facing the back hatch, maybe 3in. Clearance between the speakers and the hatch. It sounded ok, but too much rattle from the back hatch and there wasnt enough air movement. So what i did was face the box with the speakers up towards the ceiling. Whoooaaaaa what a difference!!!

I suggest everyone who puts a box in the trunk with the 3rd row do this... Lots of air movement and you feel it alot more!

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that's called cabin gain. You should always take advantage of it when you can.
I couldn't fit my 12's facing up, though, so I was stuck firing back into the hatch or forward into the seat. Post up some pictures, please. I'd like to see the set-up.

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok cool ill post some pics up this weekend... I dont have big time balla speakers though... Just 2 alpha sonics.

My only beef with them facing up is when you look through the back glass u can see em...

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure your alphasoniks are good--definitely better than the cheap visoniks I had.
Maybe you can add a grille or beauty panel to cover it up.
Window tint always helps.
Or you can just throw something over it when you are parked for a while if you are worried about them getting stolen.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIRC, there is fabric that is "acoustically transparent". You can always make a cover out of that stuff. My rear window is damn near black, so I don't really worry about anyone looking in.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIRC, there is fabric that is "acoustically transparent". You can always make a cover out of that stuff.

Exactly. You can just make a panel that covers the entire exposed face of the box w/cutouts for the subs. Then, cover the entire panel with speaker cloth. This is the same way I finished off my enclosure. Anyway, you can get the cloth at any place that sells fabric by the yard. It's generally black and ultra thin with some stretchability. You won't be able to see anything behind it (unless there is light behind it) so it is perfect for concealing electronics and valuables.

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool thanx for the tips....

I didnt forget to post pics, just havent had the time.
I will very soon