315's on a 1998 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJShoreRR

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I did some looking around and didnt find the answer so I figured I would just come out and ask.

I have a 98 Expedition XLT and the tires are SHOT! I found a good deal on a set of low mileage 315/70/17's. Would I have any major issues using stock wheels with no lift?

I read on another forum that they would fit but rub the front bumper at full lock. Could I get away with pulling an inch or 2 out of my torsion bars?

I really dont go off roading, mostly wanna go bigger for looks. With 315k miles I think her off roading days are in the past.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
315k?! HOLY HELL!!! nice job!

yes you can fit 315s. but you need to get 2" lift out of the front and rear. you hit a speed bump with out doing the rear they will rub. so you need at least a 2" lift. they will look big in there too. but they do fit.

http://expeditionforum.com/album.php?albumid=51
he has 315s with 2" lift you want to see what they look like.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
NJShoreRR, I ran 315's on my truck with the stock suspension. If you live in a very flat place, it will be just fine. You even think about turning up a hill from a level street, you are going to have some serious rubbing. TRUST ME. LIke was mentioned, 2" of lift is a minimum to get no rubbing. That is unless you feel lucky and want to take a 3 pound hammer to the firewall to make some clearance. SERIOUSLY. May also require a little bit of cutting of the bumper. I had to do both of these mods to allow me to fit 37's with only a 4" lift.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
285s and 305s are the same height tire. they are just 20mm width difference.
285/75R16 305/70R16

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stand by the 285/70/17 because of the guaranteed no rub and it looks good because its bigger then stockers. Just get a tread design with an agressive sidewall cause that is what you look at and thats what you want to look good. that why terra grapplers sell so well because they look/function well:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i stand by the 35x12.50xR17 lol.
Mine hardly rub. BUT I have stock wheels.

Dont get them unless you plan on doing some lifting