3rd Brake Light Inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KOTU

Reaction score
Just this past week I repaired the third brake light on my '07 Lincoln Navigator L. Mine had five 5W5 bulbs. They are the same bulbs that are used to illuminate the license plate. After getting the light fixture out from the truck's roof and taking it apart, I saw that over the years the heat from the bulbs had melted the mirrored plastic reflectors. The reflectors are shaped like a line of V(s) with the bulbs in the V's valley. In addition to this, moisture seems to have gotten in and separated the mirrored reflective material from the transparent plastic. I used aluminum insulation tape to recreate the reflectors and installed five Sylvania #2825 led bulbs. The 2825 bulbs are polarized and need to be installed with positive and negative poles in mind. To test the reassembled fixture, I let it dangle from the wire. I depressed the brake pedal while looking into the rearview mirror. Just one of the bulbs had to be reversed.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting that wife was stopped. Usually only “need” to have two brake lights working to be legal. Maybe it was a courtesy stop? Mine is partially out, too. Moisture seems to be the culprit. Waiting for it to die totally before replacing it myself.

Some officers simply don't know the law. Years ago I was stopped in NJ for window tint - despite having PA plates. He issued me a written warning for the tint, but there was no violation to begin with as NJ's tint law doesn't apply to vehicles registered outside NJ. There is actually case law on this matter as a NY driver was stopped for window tint in NJ as well. The officer ended up finding drugs and an illegal firearm in the car, but the entire case was thrown out as the stop was deemed illegal based on the fact the window tint wasn't a violation since it was a NY vehicle.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
without getting into a giant legal argument, with a bunch of folks that aren't lawyers (including myself), I think these two last arguments may not be super accurate depending upon the municipality and their local/state laws. For example, most of the time, while you may be visiting another municipality, you are still required to observe their local laws. Once you cross that line, you have to observe local laws. Otherwise, how could extremely punitive places like NY and CA wouldn't for example be able to prevent folks brining in certain firearms.

In Denver for example, they will regularly ticket people that don't have front license plates (with a pretty costly ticket) regardless of whether the vehicle is from Denver, cities/counties outside of Denver, or even from other states. Front license plates are state law here, but 95% of the counties in the state don't care about the front license plate, but Denver loves the revenue. The magistrates don't even care if your vehicle is designed without a front license plate mount.

In many states (and maybe this was part of the issue in NY), the light penetration levels of tint are not considered a primary infraction that an officer can use to pull over a vehicle. Its a secondary infraction once the person is pulled over for another infraction and I've seen that use as a way to throw out infractions. I used to tint vehicles for several years here in CO and that was true here, but not everywhere. I've definitely seen folks get pulled over for the 3rd light in CO, although in most cases it's just to let them know.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
without getting into a giant legal argument, with a bunch of folks that aren't lawyers (including myself), I think these two last arguments may not be super accurate depending upon the municipality and their local/state laws. For example, most of the time, while you may be visiting another municipality, you are still required to observe their local laws. Once you cross that line, you have to observe local laws. Otherwise, how could extremely punitive places like NY and CA wouldn't for example be able to prevent folks brining in certain firearms.

In Denver for example, they will regularly ticket people that don't have front license plates (with a pretty costly ticket) regardless of whether the vehicle is from Denver, cities/counties outside of Denver, or even from other states. Front license plates are state law here, but 95% of the counties in the state don't care about the front license plate, but Denver loves the revenue. The magistrates don't even care if your vehicle is designed without a front license plate mount.

In many states (and maybe this was part of the issue in NY), the light penetration levels of tint are not considered a primary infraction that an officer can use to pull over a vehicle. Its a secondary infraction once the person is pulled over for another infraction and I've seen that use as a way to throw out infractions. I used to tint vehicles for several years here in CO and that was true here, but not everywhere. I've definitely seen folks get pulled over for the 3rd light in CO, although in most cases it's just to let them know.

I didn't say or suggest anyone is somehow exempt from obeying laws because they live somewhere else. I am, specifically, talking about vehicle equipment laws and while I am not a lawyer, I am a paralegal and have been for over 20 years. The vehicle is beholden to the equipment laws in the state in which it's registered. If the state in which the vehicle is registered doesn't require front license plates the owner cannot, legally, be ticketed for a missing plate even if the state they are driving through requires one. However, that doesn't stop some officers from issuing illegal tickets. I too have heard of drivers getting illegally ticketed for the missing plate when they are not required to have one. Most people will pay it under the assumption the officer is correct, but it will get tossed if it goes to court.

As an aside, think about this rationally for a moment: If it was in fact illegal to drive without said front plate, then it would be illegal for me to drive my car into any state that requires a front plate since it is not possible to obtain a second plate. Moreover, it would be illegal for semi-trailers registered in 1-plate states to drive in states where 2 plates are required. What if I live in a state without safety inspections or emissions inspections? Then it would be illegal for me to drive my vehicle into a state in which they are required. In fact, here in PA we have counties without emissions inspections (e.g. Monroe). If the equipment laws were based on where the driver is located at that moment rather than where the vehicle is legally registered, residents of Monroe county would not be permitted to operate their vehicle(s) in counties where emissions are required, since Monroe County vehicle lack an emissions inspection sticker. Again, this is not the case.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anywho, with the legal advise dispensed. Anyone have steps to check the 3rd brake light connection(s)?

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bump
Anyone have instruction on accessing the connector to see if maybe it just jarred loose?

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the 3 light out for YEARS and was never stopped for it. Even when I was stopped for speeding, it wasn't mentioned. I put in my 1st Gen Expy an LED strip that is literally invisible in daylight, and I never had a problem. Even with registration of the car.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this one more time.
Anyone have tips on checking the HMSL connector and/or R&R instructions? Rather not take it to the dealer to diagnose if I can help it.