3rd gen Anzo headlight review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This a partial review. I'll explain later.
I purchased a set of Anzo 111114 (Chrome) off eBay at a discount due to malfunctioning LEDs (the small rows of 5 LEDs on each light).
They were installed as is with stock bulbs (included)

Pros:
1. Big improvement over stock lighting. Low beams have a sharp cutoff with the "step" for left-hand-drive. The high beams have good throw and are more focused than stock. Stock Highs would light only 2 phone-poles ahead, the Anzos light 4 or 5 poles ahead.
2. This is more subjective, but they look good.
3. Easy install and aiming

Cons:
1. It was really cold out when I did the swap. About 18F. Removing the stock lights was not a big deal, nor was the install. But I had to remove the light afterward and one of the spring clips snapped off the plastic "knob" it was attached to. I can fix it easily, but a note not to be too adventurous when it's very cold.
2. The left low beam needs to rotated a TINY bit counter-clockwise to level the beam. It's really noticeable only when the lights are pointing at a wall.
3. The high beams need a little tweaking with the aim. The beam hot spots point a little to the left. On a long straight, I can see that the trees on the left are lit better then the ones on the right.
4. The output, while well contained, is probably not a match for real HID projectors.

I have not wired the CCFL DRL lights yet. So I can't report on that. I'm waiting for warmer weather.

I thought that I might swap the bad LEDs for a series of 1/2 - 1W Amber LEDs and connect them to the signals. However that would require the removal of the lens from the body.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wondered who nabbed that set. I've been considering getting a non functional set to take apart and do a quad projector retrofit. Great review!

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wondered who nabbed that set. I've been considering getting a non functional set to take apart and do a quad projector retrofit. Great review!

At the price I couldn't resist the gamble.

An HID projector retrofit isn't off the table either. But mine would be a dual projector retrofit with 100W halogen Highs.

But warmer weather is required.

dmm5157

Reaction score
New to the forum, just got these lights for my 2007 Expedition that I bought last month. My old headlight lenses were cracked and the Anzo set was cheaper than buying stock headlights.

Will have to check into the HID projector retrofit. I just took the truck for a roadtrip to Orlando, the headlights performed well for my liking, once I adjusted the beams to the correct height.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New to the forum, just got these lights for my 2007 Expedition that I bought last month. My old headlight lenses were cracked and the Anzo set was cheaper than buying stock headlights.

Will have to check into the HID projector retrofit. I just took the truck for a roadtrip to Orlando, the headlights performed well for my liking, once I adjusted the beams to the correct height.

The out of the box low beam adjustment is awful but easy to fix. I still want to tweak mine a little. I haven't tried adjusting the highs yet. They need a little tweaking as well, but perform acceptably for now. Over all I'm happy with the upgrade. It won't be until the weather warms up considerably before I get into them though.

dmm5157

Reaction score
I love the way mine came out. Really night and day vs. the ones I had on there before. Installation was pretty easy, took about 15 min total, including soldering the LED wires to the existing parking light wiring.

PhotoGrid_1422402008162_zpse79c1ecd.jpg

PhotoGrid_1422401549418_zpsfa30f7a4.jpg

robertdogul

Reaction score
I also purchased a discounted set if Anzo headlights. They were sold "as new, open box". There were no bulbs in the box but I installed Philips X-treme Vision hi/low beams. The headlights are a huge improvements over stock. I couldn't get the CCFL halos to work, problem was two bad inverters. Vendor sent me replacements and everything is fine. BTW the Anzos cost me $150 on Ebay, I am very happy with my purchase.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well warmer weather is here. I had to fix a broken plastic post that a metal clip was attached to. I drilled a small hole and epoxied a screw into it and threaded the metal clip onto it. Worked out great.

Here's the bad news. The high beams have no way to aim them, SO I'm stuck with a set of high beams that point a little to the left. The only way to really do anything with them would be to remove the lenses. Just not in the cards right now.
I tested the CCF halos. They work fine and look great, but I haven't had time to permanently connect them. Maybe next weekend. No promises. :smile:

I had the thought of having HID projectors High/Low in the low beam spot and have a pair of round halogen spot lights in the high beam location. This way I could go from true HID low beams to an HID "highway beam" (like a low beam but a little more height to the cut-off and narrower) or with a flip of the switch go from "highway beams" to low beams + 100W spot beams. Just the musings of a mad man.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest reviews and follow-ups. Its unfortunate these offer no high beam adjustment.

SgtStedanko

Reaction score
I love the way mine came out. Really night and day vs. the ones I had on there before. Installation was pretty easy, took about 15 min total, including soldering the LED wires to the existing parking light wiring.

PhotoGrid_1422402008162_zpse79c1ecd.jpg

PhotoGrid_1422401549418_zpsfa30f7a4.jpg

I know it has been almost two years since you posted this, but I was wondering if you could help me?

I have purchased the Anzo Halo headlights just like you have here. As noted, they come with NO instructions. I have watched a video (or twenty) and think I have a grasp of this, but was wondering if you could shed some light as well.

In the pictures below, I have labeled the wires from a back view of the headlights and labeled the lights from the front view as well so that you can see what MY understanding is.

What I am supposing I need to do, from watching the video(s) is:

1) wire the black wires together from LED set and Halo set and attach a connector (female)
2) wire the green wire from the LED set to the red wire of the Halo set and attach a connector (female)
3) from the parking light on the side, connect a black wire (ground) and a red wire (hot) to the respective wires of that set and attach connectors (male) to each of those wires
4) plug the males and females together and watch the sparks fly (well, hopefully no sparks)

Is this how you did it?

anzo-headlight-back-1.jpg anzo-headlight-front-1.jpg