3rd gen Off-road rigs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Welcome Raul! My '17 limited is stock as well but as an exploration geologist, I use it for work off-road. I have used F-150s with the FX4 package for over 30 years, but recently decided to get the Expedition. It performs like a dream off-road and have never been concerned with getting in or out. 4-Lo with the lockers is awesome going up steep grades (where the tingle in your stomach is felt) and is amazing.

If I were to do some very heavy duty off-road, a full set of skid plates would be a good idea. A lift? No, since it destroys the highway MPG and stability both off- and on-road. Good luck and let us know what you do.
putting my lift on my Ex did nothing to my mpg. 23 highway

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is I was reading a blog article written by the guy who owns the above truck and he said he did a comparison from a hummer and a Jeep with lockers and the Expedition performed identically to the locked rigs....if its true that there are no rotational differences between the axles in the front and rear when Control Trac is engaged, then I would think it would indeed behave just like a locker is intended to behave... what are your thoughts? I’m curious and want to stretch my truck now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've been driving on a lot of unplowed roads and across short distance of snow covered grass fields with 4-5 inches of snow on them in 4A and I've had no problems at all not even any noticeable wheel spin. Granted I'm in Indiana and everything is flat for the most part. I've hit the gas on flat snow covered roads and really haven't noticed any slipping. I've been pretty happy with the way the truck has been performing this winter.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here. I have brand new KO2’s on mine and these tires do indeed live up to their expectations. I’m going to try to find time to test the “software locker” functionality and report my thoughts. I’m super curious.

Greg S

Reaction score
New to the forum and im curious. How many of y'all have those 3rd gen off road rigs. Those rigs with lifts and the bars and anything else you have taste for. Let's see em!!! Mine is stock as hell for now with tons of mods in the near future. Just looking for some inspiration and ideas.

View attachment 23013

Welcome to the forum!

I have a 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD and really don’t do any heavy off roading, but do some light off road driving from time to time and love the look of off road rigs. On mine, I replaced the old Michelin tires with BFG KO2s (size 275 55R20) last February and LOVE them so far. I debated upgrading my wheels but decided to stick with my stock 20” chrome wheels. I did switch out the old plastic running boards with a pair of Lund 5” oval chrome step bars (they turned out to be the same model/mounting setup as the 2001-2003 F150 SuperCrew), added a Ranch Hand grille guard (found on Craigslist, painted and all), Weathertech floor liners, and a K&N air filter. I replaced the shock/spring assemblies with Monroe QuickStruts last year, it lifted the front end a little bit (truck runs level now) and improved the ride tremendously, but looking back I’m thinking maybe I should have gone with the Rancho QuickLift system for the extra ride height. I also added an auxiliary trans oil cooler for towing. As far as off road changes, that’s about all I’ve done so far. I love my truck the way it’s set up, it has that rugged look but still is perfect for everyday and family use.

Next up are Power Stop Heavy Duty Tow and Haul brake rotors and pads all around (already purchased but haven’t had a chance to install yet) and probably some tow mirrors.

Best of luck with your mods!

801AFCA5-B971-4DD4-86DC-A4E647D674D1.jpeg

95EC6382-1F05-4F5D-B6B0-E0B2BE7A2DF9.jpeg

8F5FC8A0-5EFB-42F0-82E8-2B5E313D1920.jpeg

3B8D90EB-7D0C-4A74-9A28-52A29F08C8F6.jpeg

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So question, do our third gen 4x4 trucks all have the “Control Trac” mimicking front and rear diff locking system? The software power split appears to mimic actual lockers once it’s engaged...which if that’s the case, is pretty wild. My triple locked land cruiser was a beast when locked. I’d like to see what my truck can do once the software “lockers” are engaged...

Only if your 4x4 actually works

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD and really don’t do any heavy off roading, but do some light off road driving from time to time and love the look of off road rigs. On mine, I replaced the old Michelin tires with BFG KO2s (size 275 55R20) last February and LOVE them so far. I debated upgrading my wheels but decided to stick with my stock 20” chrome wheels. I did switch out the old plastic running boards with a pair of Lund 5” oval chrome step bars (they turned out to be the same model/mounting setup as the 2001-2003 F150 SuperCrew), added a Ranch Hand grille guard (found on Craigslist, painted and all), Weathertech floor liners, and a K&N air filter. I replaced the shock/spring assemblies with Monroe QuickStruts last year, it lifted the front end a little bit (truck runs level now) and improved the ride tremendously, but looking back I’m thinking maybe I should have gone with the Rancho QuickLift system for the extra ride height. I also added an auxiliary trans oil cooler for towing. As far as off road changes, that’s about all I’ve done so far. I love my truck the way it’s set up, it has that rugged look but still is perfect for everyday and family use.

Next up are Power Stop Heavy Duty Tow and Haul brake rotors and pads all around (already purchased but haven’t had a chance to install yet) and probably some tow mirrors.

Best of luck with your mods!

View attachment 23136

View attachment 23137

View attachment 23138

View attachment 23139

2001-2003 F150 Screw running boards fit our trucks???????

Shiiiiiiiiiiite..... this woulda been good to know before I got this overpriced, much-modification-necessary NFab crap

PS what mount system, bolt up to the rockers? Drill or use existing holes?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I've been driving on a lot of unplowed roads and across short distance of snow covered grass fields with 4-5 inches of snow on them in 4A and I've had no problems at all not even any noticeable wheel spin. Granted I'm in Indiana and everything is flat for the most part. I've hit the gas on flat snow covered roads and really haven't noticed any slipping. I've been pretty happy with the way the truck has been performing this winter.
I’ll second this

Greg S

Reaction score
2001-2003 F150 Screw running boards fit our trucks???????

Shiiiiiiiiiiite..... this woulda been good to know before I got this overpriced, much-modification-necessary NFab crap

PS what mount system, bolt up to the rockers? Drill or use existing holes?

Yeah, I was surprised too. The mounting brackets that Lund includes with the bars bolt to the rocker panels underneath the truck, using the same holes as the factory running board mounting brackets used on the Expedition. The brackets then attach to the bottom of the bars using bolts that slide in a set of channels on the bottom of the bar. Really clean factory look once installed, and they look like they were original to the truck. And no mods were necessary.

I had ordered the ones for the 2008 Expedition SWB and when the box arrived, it said they were for a 2001-2003 F150 SuperCrew so our trucks must have the same length bars and mounting points. Surprised me too to see that.

Couldn’t find the box label but below is a pic of the packing slip that cane with it for part #, etc. Purchased online from Auto Anything.

A71344F2-DB4C-4049-AAC5-289602F712BC.jpeg

Last edited: