3rd gen Off-road rigs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raul Villarreal

Reaction score
New to the forum and im curious. How many of y'all have those 3rd gen off road rigs. Those rigs with lifts and the bars and anything else you have taste for. Let's see em!!! Mine is stock as hell for now with tons of mods in the near future. Just looking for some inspiration and ideas.

received_1340290019396728.jpeg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New to the forum and im curious. How many of y'all have those 3rd gen off road rigs. Those rigs with lifts and the bars and anything else you have taste for. Let's see em!!! Mine is stock as hell for now with tons of mods in the near future. Just looking for some inspiration and ideas.

View attachment 23013
Raul, Welcome to the forum. My 17 is mostly stock. I've added LED tail lights, HID bulbs for headlights, and a few pieces of chrome trim.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Nice. Lighting is probably going to be one of the first upgrade for me.
There are a number of threads on here about headlight upgrades. You might consider a projector headlight upgrade. Putting LEDs or HIDs in standard reflector headlights is doable but not recommended because of the way they scatter the light and blind oncoming drivers. I had HIDs in my 05 (I know I'm going against my own advice) and they were pretty bright, I had to adjust the headlights down so as not to blind everyone.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On. Off topic a lil. How do you do that top section that says quote. Sry. This is my first forum.
Lower right hand edge of the frame you want to quote you'll see three buttons, Like + Multi, (which I still haven't figured out) and Quote.

Just click the quote button for the post you want to quote and it will put it in the reply window.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome Raul! My '17 limited is stock as well but as an exploration geologist, I use it for work off-road. I have used F-150s with the FX4 package for over 30 years, but recently decided to get the Expedition. It performs like a dream off-road and have never been concerned with getting in or out. 4-Lo with the lockers is awesome going up steep grades (where the tingle in your stomach is felt) and is amazing.

If I were to do some very heavy duty off-road, a full set of skid plates would be a good idea. A lift? No, since it destroys the highway MPG and stability both off- and on-road. Good luck and let us know what you do.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Body lifts still leave the axles within an inch or two from where they were. Independent is better than beam axles but they're still close to the ground. Gotta pick tracks carefully still. Hubs and brakes still down there in the water and mud as well. But half tracks are not good for daily drivers.

-- Chuc