3rd gen Off-road rigs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I was surprised too. The mounting brackets that Lund includes with the bars bolt to the rocker panels underneath the truck, using the same holes as the factory running board mounting brackets used on the Expedition. The brackets then attach to the bottom of the bars using bolts that slide in a set of channels on the bottom of the bar. Really clean factory look once installed, and they look like they were original to the truck. And no mods were necessary.

I had ordered the ones for the 2008 Expedition SWB and when the box arrived, it said they were for a 2001-2003 F150 SuperCrew so our trucks must have the same length bars and mounting points. Surprised me too to see that.

Couldn’t find the box label but below is a pic of the packing slip that cane with it for part #, etc. Purchased online from Auto Anything.

View attachment 23142

Shiiiiiit....

And I wasted money and beacoup time on a piece of junk that bolts up to holes drilled in the lip of the rocker panel...

Hmmm so is it JUST those steps for 2001 F150 Screws, or ANY steps for them?? Is the bracket position on yours fixed, or adjustible along the the bar?

Last edited:

Greg S

Reaction score
Shiiiiiit....

And I wasted money and beacoup time on a piece of junk that bolts up to holes drilled in the lip of the rocker panel...

Hmmm so is it JUST those steps for 2001 F150 Screws, or ANY steps for them?? Is the bracket position on yours fixed, or adjustible along the the bar?

The label on the box said 2001-2004 F150 SCrew, but the body style changed in 2004 so not sure if they meant 2001-2003 only, or if they will also fit the 2004-2008 gen F150 as well?

The brackets mounted to the fixed mounting holes on the rocker, but the bolts that attach the brackets to the bars slide within the bars so could really bolt up anywhere along the bars. I tried to get a few photos, the first two show how the brackets mount to the bar, and the third shows how one of the brackets mount to the rocker.

View attachment 23153

F1734753-FCBC-41BE-8607-D28B0DE22F10.jpeg

94F7E278-11E7-44C5-AE4B-58D8B5F4FD62.jpeg

B85F6145-8AFE-4CC9-A5E4-AA9CCE334308.jpeg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The label on the box said 2001-2004 F150 SCrew, but the body style changed in 2004 so not sure if they meant 2001-2003 only, or if they will also fit the 2004-2008 gen F150 as well?

The brackets mounted to the fixed mounting holes on the rocker, but the bolts that attach the brackets to the bars slide within the bars so could really bolt up anywhere along the bars. I tried to get a few photos, the first two show how the brackets mount to the bar, and the third shows how one of the brackets mount to the rocker.

View attachment 23153

View attachment 23158

View attachment 23159

View attachment 23160

Yeah looks like a far more secure mount than mine

2018-01-06 16.34.14.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the 1st gen guys take off their running boards to be more "offroad". The 3rd gen guys are adding them to be more "offroad"?

Crazy.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the 1st gen guys take off their running boards to be more "offroad". The 3rd gen guys are adding them to be more "offroad"?

Crazy.

Mine's too tall, PITA for people <6 ft to get in.

Anyway clearance at lowest spot of the nerf bars is still 11.25" (w/ Rancho Quicklifts), not much of a limitation for most applications

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Just as information, the 3rd Generation Expeditions with the "off road package" included three skid plates and the tube-type running boards. The engine and transfer case plates are steel and the gas tank plate is plastic.

That's all the package contained. The three skid plates were also included in the SSV trim on 4WD. With 2WD, you only got the front skid plate.

My 08 spends lots of time on the beach and never got me stuck. I have highway tires which I air-down and carry a hi-lift jack. Wish there was a way to mount the jack in this thing.

Last edited:

supermitch

Reaction score
I got the skid plates with my SSV and it makes me feel really cool ;). That being said I also have driven over so much shit that I'm sure they've saved my ass a bunch of times.

And yeah, I don't want running boards, I want some badass sliders. Not that I will do any real off-roading but it'll look cool. Although I do run into things a lot (drive-by-rails, my buddy calls it).

These are the sliders I love the most:
http://www.c4fabrication.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Torcon-sliders.png

C4 Fabrication. They look awesome. I could get white powder coated top to match my "base model" theme (ha)

Last edited: