3rd row seating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDNplanner

Reaction score
When I purchased my 1st gen Expy the 3rd row seat was missing and I couldn't see the mounts at the time so I assumed I had some weird model of Expy where the 3rd row was optional. Turns out the previous owner had some custom speakers in the back at some point and had new carpet installed that covered the 3rd row mounts. Upon learning this I cut the carpet out to expose the mounts and simply went down to my local U-pull-your-own-parts junk yard and found myself a 3rd row in excellent condition. There is nothing to them, just pick one up used and it drops right onto the mounts. Easy in, easy out.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest way to verify (across all generations) is to look at the rear D-pillar trim. If there are seatbelts, or roughly 1/2 inch holes where seatbelts once were, then the truck came with 3rd row. Smooth, hole-free D-pillars are a good indicator the truck came without 3rd row. You can get a 2019 MAX (the long version) without a 3rd row even today, but the vast majority of all Expeditions were 3rd row equipped.

If you don't have a tap & die set, most (all?) Ford seat and seat belt bolts are self tapping, and the mounting points are fairly soft steel, so piece of cake. Gotta remember, Henry's assembly line was built for speed.