3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they put different brand shock absorbers in or will they require replacement again after warranty?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its just a vicious cycle with the Low end model shocks..... sucks but it is what it is. Aftermarket shocks aren't expensive and they would greatly improve the ride on these...

C

Chance A Tucker

Pretty sure one on our 2016 XLT 2WD with tow package is done. Feels like a pogo stick going over speed bumps. I'm out of warranty, any idea on cost? There is a local "Powerstroke Toys" shop that I assume could do it.

Would definitely put some aftermarket shocks on there. Anyone got any recs on a comfiest highway riding shocks?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just rolled over 10k miles this week and today I saw a puddle on the floor, thought it was dripping from the rain. 5 hours later, the puddle was still there. Realized it was the shock that blew out. Front passenger side shock. These things are super crappy!

I am looking into the 5100's, or 4600's. Any other valid options out there? I don't plan on a lift at all so does it make sense to go with the 5100's, or stick with the 4600's? Are the 5100's a better shock?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got the Bilstein 4600s. Not a big deviation from stock imho.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you saying that from a ride quality standpoint or a product quality standpoint?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ride quality. I blew 2 stock shocks between 80-99K miles. The Bilsteins have been on for 50K with no issues. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but pretty similar imho.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A remote Reservoir is complete overkill on a family hauler like these were intended for. If you aren't pounding them thru their travel non stop off road in the desert heat, the reservoir won't help much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni