3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A remote Reservoir is complete overkill on a family hauler like these were intended for. If you aren't pounding them thru their travel non stop off road in the desert heat, the reservoir won't help much.

Won’t hurt either. You don’t think your shocks get hot after long road trips or towing something? Looks like very few miles and limited off roading are to much for the family hauler shocks. Icon offers custom spring rates, valving, rebuilds and even clickers to give you the ride you want. They can even make them without reservoirs, but why would you if you’re buying a premium product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Won’t hurt either. You don’t think your shocks get hot after long road trips or towing something? Looks like very few miles and limited off roading are to much for the family hauler shocks. Icon offers custom spring rates, valving, rebuilds and even clickers to give you the ride you want. They can even make them without reservoirs, but why would you if you’re buying a premium product.

I'm not saying you can't spend your money on the extra reservoirs, but I'm just saying in reality 90% of the public will never see a benefit from a remote reservoir. Shocks don't typically overheat on the road, they overheat from extended use as in heavy off roading and working them thru their full travel and overheating their internal oil. Once the oil overheats, then it foams and the shock needs the nitrogen pressure of the shocks to hold the foaming at bay. None of this usually happens on a street application, but I'm sure someone could defy that....

I recently ordered a set of Fox shocks for my 3/4 ton diesel and the consensus was the reservoir was overkill unless offload racing or something very very extreme. Even Fox told me to save the money and go without the reservoirs and save the money for a rebuild in the future. Premium shocks are usually rebuildable, which is nice instead of throwing the shocks out every time, but then you are without shocks while they are out being rebuilt......... Either way, If you get the reservoirs, I guess its added insurance if that means anything! :).

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think I can justify 3k for shocks on the expedition, although I am sure they are very nice! I think King also makes some coil overs for the expedition if you want to pony up the coin for that.

I was hoping that maybe Fox or similar had something but it doesn't look like it yet. TeraFlex has their Falcon shock line and they make shocks for the f150 but they don't currently have anything available for the expedition but they told me they are looking into it and might consider doing them for the expedition.

Looks like I am just going to go with the bilstein 5100's. They should at least last longer than the stockers.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting one of the biggest advantages of the reservoir. Clickers, you can set the ride from soft to firm. Towing, set the rear a little stiffer, off roading set them for the terrain, soften them for the city commute. They are expensive, but I bet the CCD’s are to and they look cheap as the regular shocks when you look at them. I just put 50 or so off road miles on my expedition with the Ready Lift kit and 35” tires with the CCD’s. The roads where severely washed out, rutted and killer washboards. The Expy is not the best overlander. But I found in sport mode with the stiffer suspension setting and 4 Auto made a huge difference in the ride comfort and control of the vehicle. I could do the same with clickers and engaging 4 Auto. Overkill? Let’s be honest, we could have bought a 10 person van to move people. But we want to do it in style and comfort.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If these do have clickers, thats a huge plus! I didn't dig real deep into their specifics. Rebound clickers would be absolutely amazing, but most only have compression clickers.

If my CCD had rebound clickers on it, I'd be under there right now dialing in more rebound dampening. The thing is too bouncy in normal setting.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If these do have clickers, thats a huge plus! I didn't dig real deep into their specifics. Rebound clickers would be absolutely amazing, but most only have compression clickers.

If my CCD had rebound clickers on it, I'd be under there right now dialing in more rebound dampening. The thing is too bouncy in normal setting.

They better have clickers for that kind of money! Coil overs are sure nice but they are a lot of work too. They really need to be rebuilt on a regular basis to keep performance good. I can't even justify coil overs on my jeep but there are a lot of mid-range options available for jeeps. I was disappointed that there weren't any mid-range options for the expedition but I do understand it. Fox or Falcon shocks would be a good mid-range option. They would give the lower cost of normal struts but give the options of the reservoirs and clickers and have a price that was more realistic.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, banged out the bilsteins on Saturday. Front passenger side was a leaking mess and one of the rear was just starting to leak.

Install went pretty well. I could do it way faster if I had to do it again, the first front and first rear were a bit slow figuring out what I did and didn't need to unbolt and take off to get the struts out. I used the OTC clamshell spring compressor, totally felt safer and faster than the threaded rods with hooks I have used in the past.

I honestly don't feel a huge difference in the 5100's over stock. They might be a touch firmer and more controlled, I don't seem to feel the rear end bounce (not that I ever felt it was bad anyway). We have another trip to southern utah (Moab area) mid-october and will be pulling the trailer so I will get some trailer time and some dirt road cruising in and see how that feels.

Overall, I am glad I did the shocks myself rather than take it in for warranty and just get the front one done then have to go back a few months later to get a back one done and I could see the others eventually going too.

I think my previous opinion on the 5100's was due to the vehicles I had them on being a lot lighter. I had them on 2 door jeeps that weren't heavy and they always felt a little harsh, especially when new.

I did not go for any lift. We are pretty tight in the garage with the roof bars on as is and I didn't want to decrease that any more.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did a 2 hour drive yesterday and I think the new shocks are worth the cost and effort over the stock ones. It still rides super nice but I don't notice any of the bounce in the rear and the soft floaty feel seems better. I liked the floaty feel but this now feels more controlled. The changes are real subtle, nothing major, but I would say better. I will be towing the trailer again in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference there too. I will also be hitting some more dirt roads in southern utah and the moab area so I should get to see how those go. I thought the stock setup rode like a dream on dirt roads.