3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just saw the fluid puddle on my garage floor indicating my right rear shock just gave out. Less that 13000 miles on my 2018 and this is the 3rd shock to go. Check your OEM shocks because they are not very well made. The roughest terrain this thing has been on is a dusty road.

Caviar65

Reaction score
Same here! Less than 11k miles with nothing more than some mild dirt roads and towing a 4k lb camper a few times, so nothing crazy rough at all. Left front strut leaking enough that it left a slippery puddle of light amber fluid on the garage floor that I first thought was brake fluid. On inspection, right side strut leaking too. Both being replaced tomorrow at dealer under warranty but had to leave it overnight for parts to arrive. PITA and ridiculous for a $70k SUV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dajrdajr

Reaction score
About 7k miles on my 2017 and both of mine were leaking, changed under warranty.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard they use a different shock on the rigs with a tow package or fx4. Any truth to that? I am just about to roll 10k and don't have any leaks and have towed a bit, bombed some dirt roads in moab, and hit some rutted roads rough enough to lift tires off the ground. I think if my shocks let loose I would probably upgrade them rather than warranty replace them for the same thing. Think the dealer would work you a deal to install a better shock rather than warranty replace with the same thing? I know my jeep dealer would work with me about stuff like that. I had a steering stabilizer let go and they installed a teraflex stabilizer for me for free if I bought it from their parts department.

What's interesting, on performance shocks (king, elka, fox, etc) they recommend rebuilds every year to two years (or less) because the oil is basically shot by then. They aren't using magic oil in factory shocks, so they really are probably ready for replacement after a year or two anyway.

I talked to a guy at teraflex who said they are looking at possible Falcon shocks for the 2018+ expedition. They make them for the F150. He wasn't certain the feasibility of the Expedition due to the market and how many owners would want an upgraded shock like that...

Turbrodude

Reaction score
I just had the front left shock blow out on my 2018 Max Limited Expy. It puked its oil all over my driveway at 30,000 miles. I have abused the suspension on many cars and never had a shock piss all the oil out.

Bob Comer

Reaction score
Just purchased my new 2019 2 weeks ago (with 2600 miles on the clock), 2900 miles and front left shock needed replacing. 2012 that was traded in never had a shock replaced in 209k miles