4.56 gears on the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mudryder18

mudryder18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK well the grears are in now and i love them. The engine isnt working as hard now. I dont have mpgs yet im still trying to run through some tanks to find out but i do have rpm numbers.
55mph - 1600rpm
60mph - 1750rpm
65mph - 1850rpm
70mph - 2000rpm

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what gears did you get? and that sounds about right for my stock gears and tires.

OP
OP
mudryder18

mudryder18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
those are good rpm's

i imangine it is easier to drive as well

It still drives about the same but yes i can tell that it is much more responsive when i accelerate. And on the highway the rpms are not constantly pegged above 4000. Its likes to stay in 4th gear now cruising.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no actually the i've been driving both all winter the expy was only in the shop 10 days. the excursion and expedition were getting 7.5mpg both at the same time! lol a few reasons why though. idle time with remote start, running in 4x4 all the time, 400lbs of weight in the rear, tires aired down to 22psi and i have a VERY heavy foot.

turns out with my driving style i only see 1 mpg difference between the 2 trucks in town. but on the highway the expy wins by atleast 2-3mpg.

glad your happy with the gears! i would love some 4:10s or 4:56s in mine. i know i'd loose all top end since i only run 265's but i'd love to have the low end power.

clardy

Reaction score
hey mudryder,

did you ever get some good fuel mileage numbers after your gear swap i pick my truck up from the shop on tuesday and then i will begin cannibalizing the fender wheels to accomodate the 38s i am going with on my rig... i am going with 4.56 front and rear with an auburn limited slip and selectable locker in the front with a circuit #104 cut off switch so that i will have true 2wd mode (i have a 2000 so it doesn't have that selection stock) another thing is which superchips programmer did you go with the flashpaq or the cortex?

OP
OP
mudryder18

mudryder18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clardy,
yea sorry i havent updated this. I have run through a few tanks now and do have some mpg numbers. 9.5 city and 11.1 highway. Not quite what i was hoping for but it is better than what i was getting before. I have the predecessor to the flashpaq. I have the micro tuner and i am starting to hate it. But if i had to pick between flashpaq and cortex i would go with cortex. I was thinking about switching to edge cts but i am still on the fence. Cant wait to see how ur truck turns out.
Btw, are you back from afghanistan yet?