4.6 Triton question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the real difference is between the 4.6 triton and the regular 4.6? I haven't been able to find any clear answers. I figured there wasn't much of one but now I see different sets of plug wires for VIN 6 and W.

Just curious. I picked up this 99 EB 2wd 4.6 triton about a month ago. Still in the "getting to know you" stage.

Thanks in advance.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the real difference is between the 4.6 triton and the regular 4.6? I haven't been able to find any clear answers. I figured there wasn't much of one but now I see different sets of plug wires for VIN 6 and W.

Just curious. I picked up this 99 EB 2wd 4.6 triton about a month ago. Still in the "getting to know you" stage.

Thanks in advance.

Nothing.... they are all tritons.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
But there are different parts depending on the VIN.

Not following you. What does the vin have to do with triton?

Its just a label ford uses with the modular motors in these.

OP
OP
BigJuicy02

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 8th digit in the VIN number identifies the engine. V and 6 are both 4.6l SOHC engines. Supposedly one is a Triton and the other is not. Some parts are different for both engines but most are the same. If you look up some parts for this truck it usually identifies which VIN number that part will fit. I was just wondering what the differences were between the two.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The 8th digit in the VIN number identifies the engine. V and 6 are both 4.6l SOHC engines. Supposedly one is a Triton and the other is not. Some parts are different for both engines but most are the same. If you look up some parts for this truck it usually identifies which VIN number that part will fit. I was just wondering what the differences were between the two.

I think your miss interpreting something. The only choices in motors is 4.6 or 5.4 both considered sohc tritons.

OP
OP
BigJuicy02

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heads and intake are probably the difference then. Makes sense thAt the plug wires are different if the heads changed. Looks like I probably have the early edition. I'll have to check the manufacture date to be sure.