4.6L Coil Pack FRUSTRATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 2000 4.6L XLT with sport appearance package. It has 86K on it presently. Last Thursday, an all too familiar Bucking started to occur, somewhat infrequently, and suddenly, incessant bucking when accelleration occurs (more like a shuddering). Thanks to 3 prior occasions, I have been able to diagnose this as a bad coil pack. It seems to happen whenever there is a heavy rain. Cylinder 4,5. The plug boots show quite a bit of rusting, indicating pooling of water in the chamber. Is this a common occurance? Or a manufacturing/design flaw. I'm sick and tired of this going on. The first occrance, I was told it was a bad plug, therefore not covered by my extended bumper/bumper warranty to 100K. so I dished out 276.00 for that. The second time, they said it was bad coil pack, but not covered. I would think that a truck/engine that it advertised heavily to be tune up free for 100K wouldn't have these issues. Or am I misinformed/crazy/etc/etc????

OP
OP
G

I have had a similar issue the last couple of weeks but have had problems tracking it down. I replaced the plugs and it helped but didn't solve it altogether. One of the coil packs looked like it had rust on it when I pulled it out. I wonder if it is bad now.

OP
OP
G

There has been some problems with the heater hose that runs over the number 4 cylinder leaking onto the coil. Be sure to check the hose carefully.

OP
OP
G

Thank you for your replies..I found a NHTSA complaint comcerning the #4 cylinder and heater hose leakage. The second sentance claimed that this is a common occurance on 4.6 and 5.4 engines. I'm hoping to find more. Supposedly there are some vehicles with up to 5 occurances. I have the vehicle sitting for now, as i have others to drive. I would like to take as much data/findings etc to Ford as possible.....The dealer I purchased from seems to be quite evasive. The other times I have brought it in, they decline any knowledge of a problem, and are more interested in getting me to do other work. (That will never happen)

I hope to hear other similar cases. I just can't believe their line that "it's just normal wear and tear"

Texaskid05

Reaction score
Sounds familiar

2001 XLT 4.6 70,000 miles Went to the car wash, and the next day got the shaking shuddering. Took it to the dealership and they replaced all 8 plugs, all 8 boots and one coil pack. 4 plug was rusted solid. They did not charge for any of it. Shamaly Ford El Paso Texas (I'll give em a plug because they have treated me right on two cars now)

OP
OP
G

I sent off a 2 page e-mail to Ford concering all that has happened. While waiting to hear from them, my mechanic found that it was cylinder #2 this time.

RUST AND CORROSION AGAIN!!!!! I saved the part, it is quite evident that there is a real problem with water collecting in the area that houses the plug and coil pack lead.

So then I get a call from Ford, and was basically told that there sare no known issues, and no recalls etc for this, therefore nothing that they will do.

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! That coil pack is actually the 5th one!!!

Please, is there anuone else experiencing problems like this?????

Texaskid05

Reaction score
Have you tried a diffrent dealership, maybe in a diffrent state. Mine was over 70k miles and wayyyyyyy out of waranty when the work was done, They never even asked me to pay for it. Just handed me the keys and said your all done.

OP
OP
G

I'll have to try that, I guess. I did get a response orm Ford. I could hear the script book pages being flipped back and forth. I have to say, I am totally disenchanted with Ford. I am going to give it one more try though.

I had to replace the battery last night. After doing so I find that the interior lights will not go off. I didn't see anything posted regarding this, so I called Ford. They said I had to deal with my selling dealer, which of course I don't want to. So anyway, lets hope this is the last coil pack. I'm about ready to put high heat silicone on top of the cylinder tube so no @@#$#@!! water gets in!!!!

I appreciate the info!!

I may have to drive to Texas. My inlaws are in Houston!

Texaskid05

Reaction score
My relatives are in Houston as well,,,but be prepared for a drive,, Texas being the size that it is, I'm 740 miles West of houston,,lol El Paso. I thought I saw a thread for the interior light thing on here somewhere

Tibiko

Reaction score
According to FORD, 50% of COP coils returned for warranty do NOT have a problem.
However, to properly diagnose the problem, the tech's should use the WDS (worldwide diagnosis system) COP kit. It really takes the guess out of diagnosing engine misfire etc. Unfortunately not every Dick and Harry from the dealership know how to fully use the WDS-COP.