4" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bough a 2003 XLT and want to do a lift but I would really like a 4" lift instead of a spacer leveling kit. Does anyone know if there is a way to get 4" of suspension lift? Maybe custom Coilovers all the way around?

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Josh welcome to the site. Unfortunately our trucks do not have many options in regards to lifting. Apparently the aftermarket does not see our vehicles as money makers. I have 3.5 front 2.5 rear level. The only kit that I saw that was produced was from rize (I think it was 6 or 8 inch) not cheap and they do not make it any more.

The issue is not just the coilovers, you would also need to have extended A arms CV halfshafts etc!! 3.5 is the max.

Good luck

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks JB14 after thinking it through i think im just gonna stick with the 3/2 spacers and 35s. Definatly having a hard time deciding what wheels and tires will look good with the light baby blue and nasty grey trim

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JoshA77 3/2 are a good choice but 3.5/2.5 is works well. I found my leveling kit on ebay for $123. Powder coated metal been great. You didn't mention how many miles you have on your truck but if you have over 100k and have the stock shocks they will be pretty used up. So you may want to look at struts. I went with the Bilstiens, but you have a few good choices. Personally I would stay away from the complete strut kits like the one from Monroe they have to soft a ride and fade out fast.

I to had an issue with which tires and wheels to go with as the world is going all black on the wheels, the prices are up there. Plus I do take my truck off road and into situations I need to air down, So for me personally I stuck with the stock diameter 17". My wheels are Method 17 x 8.5 this way I can air down to about 17lb and not bust the bead. Plus the cost was good. My Tires are the 35" Toyo Open Country R/T which is the A/T and M/T mixed. These are great tires.

Final recommendation on lift it can be done with hand tools but if not experienced have someone do it for you or maybe you have a back yard mechanic that can help. Use the Blue thread lock. Struts are dangerous to install and if you do that get new strut mounts while in there.

Lastly you will need to get a 4 wheel alignment for obvious reasons but mainly to bring back your almost full turning radius, and the tire store when you put on the 35" will need to trim the front lower lip of the fender/airdam lip. Very very minor trim you wont even notice (if they do it right) but make sure when you get it trimmed to go into reverse and turn full lock to lock and check for rub.

Sorry for the length of reply.

Let me know if you have any other questions

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks again JB, it has 187k on it so I am looking at new shocks, do the bilstiens come with springs on them or do you have to get a spring compressor to put them back on? I'm looking to do something like this... but I need the fender trim and stuff which I think I could add pretty easy. I had a 3rd gen explore with 3" strut spacers that I put on my own in the driveway in about 3 hours. FullSizeRender.jpg ex.jpg

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JoshA77 3/2 are a good choice but 3.5/2.5 is works well. I found my leveling kit on ebay for $123. Powder coated metal been great. You didn't mention how many miles you have on your truck but if you have over 100k and have the stock shocks they will be pretty used up. So you may want to look at struts. I went with the Bilstiens, but you have a few good choices. Personally I would stay away from the complete strut kits like the one from Monroe they have to soft a ride and fade out fast.

I to had an issue with which tires and wheels to go with as the world is going all black on the wheels, the prices are up there. Plus I do take my truck off road and into situations I need to air down, So for me personally I stuck with the stock diameter 17". My wheels are Method 17 x 8.5 this way I can air down to about 17lb and not bust the bead. Plus the cost was good. My Tires are the 35" Toyo Open Country R/T which is the A/T and M/T mixed. These are great tires.

Final recommendation on lift it can be done with hand tools but if not experienced have someone do it for you or maybe you have a back yard mechanic that can help. Use the Blue thread lock. Struts are dangerous to install and if you do that get new strut mounts while in there.

Lastly you will need to get a 4 wheel alignment for obvious reasons but mainly to bring back your almost full turning radius, and the tire store when you put on the 35" will need to trim the front lower lip of the fender/airdam lip. Very very minor trim you wont even notice (if they do it right) but make sure when you get it trimmed to go into reverse and turn full lock to lock and check for rub.

How do those RTs handle in the snow?

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not had the opportunity yet to take in the snow. I got them on March of 2016 and live in So Cal but I also have a place in Nevada. I will be going to the mountains in the next few weeks and will be able to let you know about snow then. I had the 33" Toyo open Country A/T before that on my stock set up (tough tire got about 60k out of them and still gave them to someone who is still using them) So far they have been great in rain and mud, climbs way better. I have read mixed reviews about the R/T in the snow some say they are great some say they are not. I put a good amount of miles on my truck every month 4k to 5k.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That set up looks good. No the Bilstiens are separate. I replaced pretty much my entire front suspension. Strut wise I replaced, Struts, springs,mounts the entire pack. I also replaced stabilizer bushings and ends, inner and outer tie rods (if do again I would do entire steering rack and pinion comes with inner rods) upper control arms, lower A arm outer bushings, Wheel bearings, brakes rotors, brake lines. None of these seemed to be and issue but at 230k when I change felt it was time and figure since taking apart do it all.

Our vehicles are really capable off road but upgraded after market parts are hard to come by actually they do not make them. I ended up using Moog constant rate springs works well but if I were to redo I would go with variable rate springs.

The trimming is minor I got the best price from 4wheel parts and had them install since they do this all the time they hd the trimming tool again really minor trimming and its only plastic being the bumper cap part. Note: 4wheel parts sucks on service if you have one in your area so beyond installing tires they are a no go.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Jb14, are there any issues with the steering or suspension from installing the 3/2 lift with 385/70/17 tires on 8.5 wheels? I understand the need to trim the front of the valance, I'm concerned about the angle change of the steering and drive components as well as any rubbing. by the way, thanks for the tip on going backwards, it would have never occurred to me to check it in reverse!
jg

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Jb14, are there any issues with the steering or suspension from installing the 3/2 lift with 385/70/17 tires on 8.5 wheels? I understand the need to trim the front of the valance, I'm concerned about the angle change of the steering and drive components as well as any rubbing. by the way, thanks for the tip on going backwards, it would have never occurred to me to check it in reverse!
jg

I got a hold of a 3.5/3 leveling lift for my Bonnie and I can tell you a resounding yes. The ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, upper control arms will fail fast. The new angles will finish worn parts out within weeks. When you replace them, replace them with the best so the have most possible longevity.